Acer Iconia W700 Recovery using System DVD

Options
bonometric
bonometric Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm trying to reinstall win 8 onto the tablet. When I boot the System DVD using UEFI, I got window saying I need to boot to Legacy. If I boot in legacy, I got window telling me the program only runs on UEFI. Aaargh*

Anybody ever had this issue ? I tried using external DVD and USB with same result.

Thanks,

Orry

Answers

• 1stTimeAcer
    1stTimeAcer Member Posts: 96 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Boot with UEFI, go into BIOS and select USB DVD as boot device. Then boot with the system disc and the recovery process will start.
  • kmd1970
    kmd1970 Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

I have the same issue.

I deleted the original partitions on the SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows 8 pro on my tablet. I did all of this in legacy mode using a USB drive to install windows 8.

Now when I switch back to UEFI mode, I get a "No bootable device" message.

So now I am trying to recover the entire system using the system DVD. When I boot into the Acer Recovery management (using UEFI mode) I get 2 options:

1. Restore operating system to factory defaults.

2. Completely restore computer to factory defaults.

If I click any of those options I get a message "Please boot this recovery disc using legacy BIOS mode".

SO I boot the system DVD using legacy Mode and I now get the message

"Restore Fail: This recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode. Please press OK to restart the system immediately"

P.S. Why did they make it so hard to get into the BIOS, I have to try 50 times to get into the bios. Half the time the unit just flashes the bios and then shuts down or just boots the OS.

• kmd1970
    kmd1970 Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

I solved my issues:

To perfom a fresh windows 8 install or full recovery:

1. You need a USB DVD drive. (I just bought one and returned it)

2. Make sure BIOS is in UEFI mode.

3. Move the USB DVD drive up as first boot device (you may have to reboot into BIOS a second time to change this)

4. Turn off FAST boot in BIOS 

5. Insert DVD into drive.

6. Hold w700 power button down for 6 seconds

7. Power ON.

When the w700 recognises the DVD drive it will reboot and pause on the ACER logo screen. There is a slight delay while the w700 reads the DVD, so wait. (watch the DVD drive light and listen for it spinning).

To do a full recovery you must first delete everything on the drive. I just used a windows 8 dvd:

a. start the windows 8 setup:

b. choose custom install

c. delete all drive partitions

d. create new drive partitions (there should now be 4)

e. format largest partition

f. exit the windows setup.

• stevensgl
    stevensgl Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Hi,

Im going to be reinstalling my Windows 8 on my W700.

Can you please tell me how you got into the Bios and changed the boot priority?

Thanks,

steve

• velteyn
    velteyn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Here what I did to SOLVE this problem !! I boot my pc using a UBUNTU USB using try ubuntu option !!

I started GParted and I deleted ALL partitions on DISK !! Be careful this WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR DISK !!!

When I had a perfectly blank disk (only free space , and no partitions at all)
     I started  again disk recovery and choose the second option... The procedure started normally with no problems !! I did a full recovery and Now Im really happy !!

• mhamor
    mhamor Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The totally blank drive including no partions is key!

Tried deleteing and formating... no dice.

Delete the partions and leave the space unallocated.

I used this tool

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

• achabmarco
    achabmarco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Leaving space unallocated did The trick!

Thx for that, it's currently installing, hope Will not get anymore alerts or errors
    To leave unallocated space I just used a USB win 8 install stick booting up in legacy mode.
    After deleting all partitions and leaving unallocated space I went to bios again switching back to UEFI mode and making sure the system restore DVD was on the top of the boot list.
    Bam.

Thx again
    Marco
  • Max_eb
    Max_eb Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi all,
    I lost the recovery DVD for my W700
    Someone could create a ISO and put them on the web for download?
    It would be helpful ..

regards

• dtalbot777
    dtalbot777 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Unallocated space did the trick for me!  

This discussion has been closed.