SSD to my Aspire V Nitro 15 VN7-571G-72UZ

Options
dicesales
dicesales Member Posts: 4 New User

Can I add an SSD to my Aspire V Nitro 15 VN7-571G-72UZ? it's super slow... Smiley Sad

Best Answer

• Ingrid1990
    Ingrid1990 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options

Absolutely yes.

Upgrading HDD to SSD is a good way to improve your PC. My suggestion is install only OS on the SSD if the HDD still works. Then use the HDD as the secondary storage. This would save space on the SSD so you won't need to purchase SSD with large capacity. I am not sure what your OS is, but normally an SSD with 120 GB is enough for OS. And you can install some favorite programs if there has plenty disk space left after installing OS. 

Clean install and cloning both work, yet if you want to keep all current personal settings, cloning is the best choice. You can learn more about transferring HDD OS to SSD here. Note that after either cloning or clean installing, you need to remove the old HDD or change boot settings in BIOS to test if the OS boots. If everything's OK, reformat the OS partition on the HDD under Windows PE mode (you cannot format it under Windows environment). 

Regards.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

You can always replace the HDD with an SSD. Also your notebook has an M.2 SATA slot, so you can keep the HDD and install an M.2 SSD in the notebook.

• Ingrid1990
    Ingrid1990 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options

Absolutely yes.

Upgrading HDD to SSD is a good way to improve your PC. My suggestion is install only OS on the SSD if the HDD still works. Then use the HDD as the secondary storage. This would save space on the SSD so you won't need to purchase SSD with large capacity. I am not sure what your OS is, but normally an SSD with 120 GB is enough for OS. And you can install some favorite programs if there has plenty disk space left after installing OS. 

Clean install and cloning both work, yet if you want to keep all current personal settings, cloning is the best choice. You can learn more about transferring HDD OS to SSD here. Note that after either cloning or clean installing, you need to remove the old HDD or change boot settings in BIOS to test if the OS boots. If everything's OK, reformat the OS partition on the HDD under Windows PE mode (you cannot format it under Windows environment). 

Regards.

• dicesales
    Options

Thanks guys, what kind of SSD do I need to buy and install? size?

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

If you decide that you want to replace the HDD with an SSD you can buy any 2.5" SSD, it will fit fine.

If you decide that you want to install an M.2 SSD then you will need to buy an M.2 SATA SSD with the size 22x80 mm (also known as 2280). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG

• sharky25k
    Options

dicesales wrote:

thank you!

Will this work?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HDDINT2200/Intel-SSD-600P-256GB-M2-2280-NVMe-PCIe-Gen-3-X-4-S

Hi,

It will not work. It's an NVMe capable SSD. Your notebook does not support NVMe protocol. You will need an M.2 SATA, not NVMe.

While probably most of the NVMe capable SSD's will be backwards compatible with SATA (but not all!!! so be careful) it's not really worth to pay the extra for NVMe if your notebook cannot use the technology.

• dicesales
    Options
  • sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

That one should work fine.