ACER r13 (R7-372T-77LE ) - Pre Purchase Questions

Options
DAlchemist
DAlchemist Member Posts: 9 New User

The new Acer r13 w/thunderbolt 3 is on the short list for my next computer but I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find out. 

On this model is the HD a single 256gb SSD or two 128gb SSDs in a Raid 0?

If its a single SSD is there a 2nd slot for another drive?

There was an issue in Skylake processors that caused freezes due to its new super low power state.  Microsoft and others had to issue a bios fix to resolve it.  Has this model got this fix or have this problem? 

Ive seen videos on youtube with the R13 connected to the Acer Graphics Dock via Thunderbolt 3.    Is this dock coming to america?  when?  will this model be compatible with it?  

Any info is appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Answers

• midiboy
    midiboy Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi!

I recently bought this one. So far I am happy with it Smiley Wink

As to your questions:

There are different models. One comes with dual SSD in RAID0 configuration, others come with a single SSD. I got the latter and I have a second empty SSD slot, which I will probably be able to populate with an SSD of my own. However I would need to also get one of those small screws cause the empty slot doesnt come with the screw to hold the SSD in place. As for how this addon SSD can be configured: I dont know yet. I did not find any relevant entry in the BIOS, maybe this only appears once a second SSD is added to the system. I am kinda hoping I can choose between RAID 0 or two seperate drives (if it is not the same size). I wanted to post a question about this myself Smiley Wink

Acer recently issued a BIOS update mentioning Microcode updates. Not sure if that includes the fix but I hope it did Smiley Wink

Yeah, according to some videos and statements I saw, the R13 with Thunderbolt3 will be compatible with the graphics dock. Only question remains if it will also charge the device through the dock while connected. Thunderbolt3 is certainly capable of doing so but the R13 has its own dedicated charging port so I am not sure if the Thunderbolt3 port will be used for that. It would certainly be akward to have to use a seperate charger when the notebook is connected to the dock.