Acer Aspire X3995 GPU upgrade. HELP!

Options
minivan
minivan Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello. I have Acer Aspire X3995 and i want to upgrade my video card. I have Nvidia Geforce GT 620 2GB DDR3 64bits low profile and my PSU is 220W on 12V rail is 16A. I want to get GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64 bits low profile but in the site its shows i must have 20A on the 12V rail. I researched that my video card requires 18A and im confused when my PSU have 16A and im runing it for more then 2 years. I am so confused. Do you think i can run the 730 ?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,061 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Is EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB (Low Profile)?

P/N: 02G-P3-3733-KR

20A is ****Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor.

France
  • minivan
    Options

Yes, its EVGA

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,061 Trailblazer
    Options

You can check the total power with this tool.

France
  • minivan
    Options

My problem is not the Watts, but AMPS on 12V rail .

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I am at a loss. I have looked and looked over the Stats for these cards on GeForce website and all I can ever see is Watts But then the OP stated a EVGA and went and looked up the cards and there it talks about this 20A on Rail...

I am not 100% sure how a 620 that states it needs a 300watt PSU works on a 220 PSU unless there is some that are missing from the website that were made for OEM Installs. and that would be more guess..

I will say that looking up the Asus and Geforce GT 730 they talk about different Specs but I think that is becasue on the Asus they say UPTO 75watts No exta Power needed. Means runs off PCIe Slot power and that may cover all the 730 they carry. Where GeForces website talks about 3 different cards. All saying needs a 300Watt PSU and  then they say what one needs how many of them Watts to power the card... 49, 23 and 25 depends on DDR3 or GDDR5 and such... However they are all powered off the slot as well and 300 Watts Min PSU needed.

I don't buy EVGA cards an never even looked at the site until today with all the 20amp on the 12VRail I figured I better get an idea what is going on...

In the End. I would say a 300 Watt PSU would be well enough for the card as Min stated by GeForce.

I will say the PSU's of today are higer in Amps on the 12V side then they were as far back as 2006. Most that age or older were only like 10amp on 12v side...

Good Luck

James

• minivan
    Options

This is exactly what i want to buy HERE. I just saw the requirements from the EVGA site.

I read that they overextend the requirements, cuz they want peoples to buy newer ones PSU. If i have to buy new PSU i need to upgrade and the case - that's out of my budget. The prove is that I am running GT 620 with requirements of 300W and 18A with 220W and 16A. I want to know if the requirements are legit can i run the GT 730 with 2 amps lower. For the wats i already calculated that i can run the GT 730 on 220W PSU.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I don't want to say that it won't run it. I will say that if your Acer machine came from factory with the GT 620 installed it is a Good guess that it was made for the systems with the 220 watt PSU in mind... If you buy one from Asus, GeForce or EVGA it is a Good Guess that it will need what they are stating for a Min PSU size of 300 Watts. Because they were made for the End User and not a Manufacture.  Sadly I don't have one here in fornt of me to Test that it would work on a 220Watt Acer PSU... I think they do have some systems out there that have OEM 730 cards in them Again these would have been made for Computer companies and may be with stats that are less then what is needed for the End User AKA Consumer. I don' t know how that works really. That is a guess. I do know that some PC even with say same type but different sub type may have a different PSU then yours and that maybe why it would work. Again I am not sure sadly I am not Rich enough for the SPace or for all the PC's from Acer to own them all. I wish I was Smiley Happy 

James