Acer e5-572g faulty(?) motherboard

Options
Epag
Epag Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I have a wifi usb adapter with the chipset rtl8187l. I connect it to my w7 x64 and w8.1 x64 installations and it constantly connects and disconnects after 5 seconds. However the adapter does not dissappear from device manager.

I thought the adapter should be faulty so i purchased another wifi adapter from another company with the same chipset but i get the exact same behaviour. Sometimes i get BSOD or the laptop just restarts. The adapters work fine on other computers. No similar problems are reported on the internet from rtl8187l and since the laptop sometimes just restarts i think its a motherboard problem. But do i have to live with it or can it be fixed?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

yes, can be a bad slot where you connect the wifi adapter.

i would try to clean it and put back the wifi module, if it's screwed, try to don't overtight it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Epag
    Options

Same behaviour on all ports. Could it be that i am in BIOS legacy mode?

• IronFly
    Options

i read about some issue on Legacy but mostly on VGA and touchpad.

worth a try to switch to UEFI if you can.

• Epag
    Options

How can i install windows on UEFI? The usb stick and dvd drive do not show up as bootable devices.

• IronFly
    Options

Windows 8 can be installed under UEFI.

be sure to have the USB media compatible with UEFI BIOS, i suggst you to use Rufus to create a bootable USB media from an official iso.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

just select GPT partition for UEFI computer and browse to your iso file, once you created the USB media, plug it to your E5 and press F12 at boot, choosing the USB media.

• Epag
    Options

Same behaviour in Ubuntu UEFI. 

• IronFly
    Options

Your BIOS version?

• Epag
    Options
    Bios 1.05. The changelog says "added support for intel wifi card" so maybe there is an issue with wifi adapters.
  • IronFly
    Options

ok....i don't have more suggestions on things to try, i think it's an hardware or BIOS issue.

• Epag
    Options

Since its a high gain wifi adapter could it be that it is asking for more power than the usb port can give?

• IronFly
    Options
    USB wifi adapter must stay on USB specific voltage and ampere, so...nope that's not the issue....at least if your USB wifi module is for USB 3.0 and you have only USB 2.0