Keyboard does not work after shutdown - restart required

Options
hlumca
hlumca Member Posts: 4 New User

I shutdown my PC at night. In the morning when I power on, the mouse works fine but I cannot enter my password using the keyboard. When I press the Caps Lock key, the indicator does not light up. After I use the mouse to do a restart, the keyboard works fine again. Why does the keyboard not work after a shutdown?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

it happened once or always?

if it was a single boot problem, there's nothing to worry, sometimes an USB port is not so fast to wakeup, mayb try to change the USB port where the keyboard is plugged.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

it happened once or always?

if it was a single boot problem, there's nothing to worry, sometimes an USB port is not so fast to wakeup, mayb try to change the USB port where the keyboard is plugged.

• zoet66
    zoet66 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having the same problem for about one week now and it ALWAYS happens when we switch to the other user. Works fine for first user (no matter which one it is) then as soon as the other user name is clicked on, the keyboard just dies. The second user cannot use it to sign in and if we switch back to the first user, that one can no longer use the keyboard either. Until the pc is restarted. Every time. For every user. It's getting very frustrating. Desktop Acer pc. Wired acer keyboard that came with it (usb). Wireless mouse that did not come with it (usb). Please please help (anybody) as we really don't want to have to start over with everything on this pc.

• johnrabbit
    johnrabbit Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

I am having this problem too with an out of the box configuration. Tried another usb keyboard: same thing. As an annoying workaround i am using the front usb conector for the keyboard. Rebooting is not necessary: just plug out the connector and put it in again. Then everything works ok.

John

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I have two Acer TC-605 desktop computers.  They problem occurs on one but not the other.  To resolve the issue, I completely wiped/reset the system to factory condition using my recovery USB drive.  I attempted to use the Acer/Windows recovery software/partition, but to my surprise, it wouldn't work.  Good thing I previously made a recovery USB drive.

The only real difference between the two computers is the problem computer had dual boot Win8.1/Win10 on it a few months ago.  The other did not.  The problem computer is connected to router via ethernet, the other one is wireless.  Other than that, they are pretty much the same....both up-to-date with all drivers and windows updates,...including optional updates.  Actually, now that I think of it, the computer without the problem uses an old Dell keyboard instead of the Acer keyboard.  The Acer keyboard for that computer had a defective space bar when I bought it so I threw it in the trash.  The computer that had the problem used the Acer keyboard that came with it.

I hope you guys figure it out.  Stuff like that can take hours/days of troubleshooting.  I took the easy route and just reset the computer to factory condition.  It takes a couple hours to get all of the windows updates and driver updates....etc.  But the keyboard works now after shutdown. 

Hard to say if it's an Acer problem or a Windows problem or both.

• hlumca
    Options

I swapped the USB connections for my mouse and keyboard as you suggested. My keyboard has been working fine after shutdowns for the past week. Thanks!

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
  • hlumca
    Options

Update: After working for a couple weeks with the swapped keyboard and mouse connections, the problem came back. I contacted Acer support and they had this response.

I am sorry to inform you that some of the Windows updates which are released recently have some corrupted file and might effect the audio, video, touchpad and keyboard features. In order to fix the issue, we can  uninstall the “Intel Technology Access” from the Control Panel.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35209

I uninstalled "Intel Technology Access" as suggested and the keyboard has been working fine for over a week.