AcerPower F5 CPU upgrade

Options
SteinarN
SteinarN Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,

one of my customers have an old Acerpower F5. Motherboard model ERC41M(Y)? It has a Pentium Celeron D336, 2,8GHz, L2 cache 256KB, 533MHz fsb.

The manual I have found states it is compatible with mainstream Pentium 4 processors, among others, up to 4,0GHz/800MHz fsb. It mentiones nothing about L2 cache though. I have on hand this processor:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 650 supporting HT Technology
(2M Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Will this processor with it's large L2 cache be compatible? And do the motherboard support HT?

thanks

Steinar

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,061 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello SteinarN,

I guess we have the same manual (Aspire T650/E500 - AcerPower F5).

I noted this:

1. Supports Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 775 / FSB 533/800MHz
    2. Pentium 4 2.66GHz ~3.8GHz speed

3. L2 Cache varies with CPU from 1MB to 2MB (for 6xx series CPU)
    4. In the CMOS Setup Utility (AMI), in Advanced BIOS Features screen: CPU Hyper-Threading [Enabled] (This item is only available when CPU and the chipset support Hyper-Threading)
    5. The part number of motherboard is like this: MB.XXXXX.XXX (soldering side)
    France
  • SteinarN
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it seems we have the same manual. Found the manual after I posted the first message.

I now see in the manual that it also supports Pentium D processors which is dual core with 2x2MB L2 cache. This is the 900 serie. If so, I will probably buy one of these, I see they are very cheap on e-bay.

However there seems to be some inconsistence between the manual and the actural MB with regards to the number of IDE/Sata ports. I will open the computer and have a look at the actual MB and compare it to the manual. I will also take note of the chipset and see wich prosessors it supports.

• laurent_14
    Options

For information, look this motherboard. It's the same:

- ECS RC410-M2 (V1.0)

France
  • SteinarN
    Options

That is the exact same main board.

However it seems to be some major fault with the main board. The computer was difficult getting started, it do post, but when Windows is supposed to start loading it often just stops there and I have to restart. But when it starts it seems to work fine, except for a few small details. The floppy doesn't work, it says no acces to the drive/floppy disk, but it shows up in explorer though, none of the usb ports seems working, same symptom, no access to the memory stick in the drive, properties indicates zero free of zero total. When I tried to install W7 it loads files fine, but when I am asked to select drive to install W7 on it says no drive found or avaiable, that is with one sata drive connected. And lastly, when I get it to start and look in properties it says 768MB ram when I have a 1G memorystick in it or 384MB when I have a 512MB stick in it.

• SteinarN
    Options

An update on this.

I finally have managed to reinstall xp. I found the reason for the usb ports and floppy seemingly not working probably was a lack of permission. There have been users deleted from this pc, and users added over time. I dont know if that could be the problem, but HW was ok I found out when I connected another HDD which I installed w7 on and usb and floppy got working again. I couldnt find any way to reactivate permission on the original xp so I formatted and reinstalled. However that proved to be a lenghty process. First of all, for the sata ports to be working it requires the sata/raid driver to be installed upon installing os, else the os install cant find any sata drives to install on. Took me quite some time to figure this out. When I finaly got reinstalled xp I decided to remove a partition only used for storage. Sadly I didnt remove this partition upon install of xp. I took out the HDD, connected to another computer and used Aomei partition assistant to delete this partition. But then it wouldnt boot up when I put back the HDD again. It turned out as the most likely cause that the MBR is not a standard one on this system, for some reason, and that Aomei corupted the MBR. When I tried to restore the MBR via windows it gave me this non standard MBR warning and anyway it still didn't boot after MBR rebuild. So had to install all over again!

Next I found some inconsitensies regarding installed memory. It had a 512MB 533MHz stick and another 1GB 667MHz stick installed. As I earlier said this 1,5GB memory never showed up in windows. I also installed a graphics card I had on hand so all memory should be available for the os, but regardless of how I combined that 1GB stick with any of two 512MB 533MHz stick it only showed up as 1GB memory in windows, the 1GB stick alone showed up as 1GB, any 512MB sticks alone showed up as 512MB. I finally tried a combination of one 2GB 667MHz stick together with the original 1GB stick and now windows correctly says it is 3GB installed. Dont know the reason for this, but suspect some sort of memory/MB incompatibility.

Now the systems boot reliably and seems to be working correct. I have ordered a P4 with hyperthreading and a Pentium D two core on e-bay. I will probably install the Pentium D cpu and then the computer should hopefully be good for it's tasks for the next years to come. But all this have taken way to much time to figure out.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

In first, I thank you for your feedback. Very good job!

At the origin, AcerPower F5 was sold with Windows 2000 or XP-32. Windows 7 ???

If it's the same motherboard than the ECS website, on download tab, the newest OS is Vista 32 or 64 bits and not Win 7.

On  Home > Products > Motherboard > Archives, I only found the RC410-M2 V1.0 and V3.0. The V2.0 is an OEM (Acer). 

You'll find the Sata/Raid driver on this tab (ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette (M1573)) and others drivers.

About the memory ( by experience), the capacities are not added because the frequencies are differents.

France
  • SteinarN
    Options

Hi again,

I downloaded the latest bios and drivers from Acer website. I see at least the bios has a different designation on the ECS website. The board version is v.1.0, the same as on the ECS website though. The old bios had the same type of designation as the Bios from the Acer website. Maybe the only actual difference is the post logo which of cource is an Acer logo on my board/bios.

I have installed w7 on several very old computers, two intel 478 socket boards which is even several years older than the 775 socket, one AMD 754 socket board and this intel 775 board. Don't remember the chipset designation from the top of my head for those. However, this last one was only for test and is now back to xp. It seems it is possible to install w7 on almost everything. I've had to run some of the driver install exe's in xp compatibility mode on installation and even one or two exe files for the installed utility, like sound driver, in xp mode to get them running after installation as well. However, plain drivers with no executable utility added seems to install very easy. Got every driver and utility installed and working on all those computers except the sound utility on this last 775 board, the driver still worked though.

Didn't test this last one much of cource, but those three others I have used for some time, installed various programs, browsers etc. They run completely reliably, as fast (slow, hehe) if not faster than xp, no problem what so ever.

I was thinking on the same about memory speed. But would have expected the mb to use both sticks and run them at the lowest sticks speed. But apparently not so in this case.

This discussion has been closed.