Hard drive configuration is not set to factory default. Refurbished Acer Iconia W3-810

Options
catspecialties
catspecialties Member Posts: 3 New User

This tablet was purchased refurbished.  As soon as I got it, I went to create my backup and message is "Hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default.  Backup aborted.  I had already sent it in once to the seller for repair services and it was sent back not repaired.  They now say I can send it in again but seems a waste of time.  I called Acer and they said I would need to purchase the recovery disk which should have already been provided to me.  It does have a valid SNID number.  I checked.   If there is anyone else who came up against this problem, I would love to know what you did to resolve it.  Second problem.  Large font had been created where is overscans the entire page so reading the Control Panel is impossible.  The warranty dept created a new user account with new settings as they were unable to fix the font problem so they ignored it.  This is another reason I wanted to do a factory reset.  Hoping Acer will be kind enough to just send me the disk.   I've learned alot about refurbished products.  Never again.   

Answers

• Leonid
    Leonid Member Posts: 121 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hi Cat, Would you explain the backup process you are using. What software and what storage?

• catspecialties
    Options

With the Acer Iconia, I am inserting a 16GB flash drive.  I am using the Acer Recovery Management utility wherein I can have a factory default backup.  I've done this with all my computers without any problems.  Pretty basic and pretty simple except I receive this messageon the Acer Iconia as I described in my posting.  Acer mentioned that the company that is refurbishing the product did not install the original factory settings and this is why I'm unable to do a backup.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

• Leonid
    Options

I think I have everything to try what you are doing. Will get back with my results.

• Leonid
    Options

I get different responce, but it will not make the backup. I get "files missing"

I have WIN 8.1 and Bios 1.07

Updates are current

I will try the DVD.

• catspecialties
    Options

Thanks for your efforts.  This may be standard with any Acer refurbished product which is why Acer recommends purchasing the original recovery disks/flash drive.  I don't have an external DVD drive to test.  Since I've had problems with the Warranty Company on this item, doesn't appear it would be to my benefit to send it back to them since they were unable to fix this problem in the first place.  Looking forward to your opinion.  Thanks again.

• Leonid
    Options

I got my W3 the same way but mine came properly restored and with the DVD. And I was able to upgrade to 8.1 without issues. There have been several reports of units received with issues. You may go to the support site and try chatting. They helped me with my issue at the time. Also there is the option of opening a case for support at the support site.

Mine is all fine except I can not create the thumbdrive recovery. So I am going to go for the complete restore to original Factory SSD w/8.0. Then to the 8.1 upgrade.

• Leonid
    Options

I just thought about another area. Have you gone into BIOS to make sure of the settings there? There are several that may give you such an error.

• anillc
    anillc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hey man I also having the same problem faced by you. I will leave the screenshot of my laptop. I tried too much to fix this problem but U cant. Let us co-operate to fix this problem e-recovery error message

• fakerat
    fakerat Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hard drive configuration is not set to factory default

(I had this problem but mine was caused  by some third party partitioning software easeus. I am not pretty entirely sure what was your cause for the error, but I believe this workaround can be useful, even to some of the users)

I learnt a tough lesson and I am now careful on what third party soft wares one must use especially for partitioning related events using windows 8 GPT structure. This article specifically relates to windows 8 (which I was using) although similar steps may work as well in windows 7

Points note:

• Most newer windows devices now use the GPT partitioning system compared to the traditional MBR system.
    • It can be very difficult to reinstall windows on a partition with GPT format.
    • One must be careful on what 3rd party portioning tools they use. It is not recommend to use some 3rd party tools to resize partitions as these may mess the hard drive configuration in such a way that it will be very difficult to restore to factory settings (especially for devices pre-loaded with OEM-Windows 8)
    • It is recommended to use the in-built Disk management utility to shrink/resize partitions.

First and foremost, it is recommended to use system file scanner to check any files that may be corrupted (and most of these are normally fixed by sfc)

• Press Windows key + X, select ‘Command prompt (Admin)’. Enter the following command “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and the system will start scanning the system. Wait until it finishes.
    • Now we will proceed to the main fix; here are the set of steps I performed,
    1. Run CMD (Admin)
    2. Type diskpart
    3. Type list disk

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 19 GB * (an example of how the disk will present)
    Disk 1 Online 22 GB 0 B *

1. Select disk

DISKPART> select disk 0

1. list partition

DISKPART> list partition

(Note you see recovery partitions flagged as OEM) So what we do is to set the id according to the GUID (Global Unique Identifier) system.

1. Selected every partition with a OEM type
    2. I changed their ID's to DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC (see below)

Partition 1 OEM 1000 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 System 260 MB 1001 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 1261 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 224 GB 1389 MB
    Partition 5 OEM 350 MB 226 GB
    Partition 6 Unknown 3913 MB 226 GB
    Partition 7 Primary 200 GB 230 GB
    Partition 8 Unknown 7813 MB 430 GB
    Partition 9 OEM 7948 MB 458 GB

DISKPART> select part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> set id = "de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

DiskPart successfully set the partition ID.

DISKPART> select part 5

Partition 5 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> select part 9

Partition 9 is now the selected partition.

Here is a screenshot (please note this is not a screenshot I made, I downloaded it online and I give thanks to the uploader) is just for education purposes.

The issue should be solved. Now you can try system refresh/reinstall to factory settings (or create a recovery media)

*In my case and others I researched on internet, it turns EASEUS partition master was the culprit, please don’t use that software if you don’t know what you are doing. (With all respect to EASEUS) I think this tool is still not configured well to work with the GPT partition format.