Can I use a pen or stylus with Acer Spin 5?

justarrow
justarrow Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I intend to buy an Acer Spin 5, but I am not sure if I can use pen, atylus or a digitizer with it. As it is a new laptop, anybody knows?

Answers

• justarrow

Tinkerer

I can't believe I asked a question about an acer product and for 2 days there is no answer. more over I can't ask any one like live chat because there is NO "live chat" in Acer unless you OWN a product already. I ask in Dell about this? or maybe I forget about buying anything Acer, because even before I buy I know now about the service quality!!!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Well, this is a community forum and likely none (or very few) of the members actually have a Spin 5 yet. I certainly don't. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • justarrow

Tinkerer

Thank you. It is a new device but I guess at least someone from Acer support will view it for help. Anyway I will keep searching for an answer and post it here.

• thuysoph
    thuysoph Member Posts: 1 New User

Just spoke with an Acer representative. Looks like the Spin 5 is not compatible with any type of stylus including the Acer Active Stylus.

Bummer.

EDIT:

So supposedly, the representative didn't know what they were talking about. If you read the product description on the Acer page, it mentions that it is compatible with an Acer Active Stylus.

• justarrow

Tinkerer

I bought the spin 5 and it is a wonderful product for medium tasks, but it doesn't support stylus or pens. After I bought it did I get an answer from Acer support on amazon about this: "the SP513-51N which is not shipping in the US or Canada does support stylus but the SP513-51 which ships in N, America does not support stylus."

However: As "thuysoph" mentioned, an active stylus or a capacitive stylus can be an answer, but in my opinion I didn't need any with this spin laptop.

• Hormone
    Hormone Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited November 2017
    I know this is an old post but if anyone could help I would appreciate it.
    I recently purchased an Acer Spin SP513-51 notebook and was also wondering if any official acer or other brands stylus models work with this notebook. Has anyone made a stylus purchase and tested the waters yet? Or found some other source of information to confirm wether or not styluses work at all?
    Thanks.
  • Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have not looked into the Acer Stylus, nor do I know the specs of the Spin. I am guessing it has a touch screen and the reason for the Question in the first place.......
     A good rule to follow is research your Active Stylus with care, if it lists iOS or iPhone/iPad you can use that stylus.
     I use an Adonit Jot Script Fine Tip Active Stylus with an Acer W3 ( Tablet), and Acer Jade Primo Phone. However there are many makers out there and many price ranges. Adonit also makes the Snap for around $40.

Take your time, find out what device a Stylus can work with and then see what is in your budget.
  • Threader
    Threader Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Ok I had just placed an order for a top of the line Acer Spin Nitro. This is the Acer Active Stylus pen that will work

Model ASA630   or Acer part number NP.STY1A.009
    https://store.acer.com/en-ca/accessories/keyboards-mice-styluses/acer-active-stylus-asa630

on the page above the pen is specified to be compatible with the following Acer notebooks

Compatible Models: SP111-31N, SP111-32N, SP513-52N, SP515-51, SW312-31, SW512-52, TMB118-RN

SP513-52N =  Spin 5 13 with 8th gen Intel  so not compatible with older gen Spin 5 models

SP515-51 = Spin 5 15.6" with 8th gen Intel so not compatible with older gen Spin 5 models

So it seems Acer added a digitizer on the latest Spin 5 models with 8th Gen Kaby-R equipped models.  
  • Threader
    Threader Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Just to reconfirm that I have received the pen and the Spin Nitro 5  mentioned above and they work great together.
  • freko
    freko Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi. I am the proud owner of the SPIN-5! What a great machine!
    However i would like to know if i could use a bluetooth sylus like the official Microsoft one (the one used with any Surface) or the Wacom Bamboo Ink
    http://www.wacom.com/fr-ca/products/stylus/bamboo-ink
    This one is using either wacom protocol (proprietary) or the Microsoft MPP protocol (compatible with windows ink app etc)
    Thanks in advance for your help/inputs
  • Passalaqua
    Passalaqua Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just got off the chat line and was told the PEN ACTIVE STYLUS WALTOP ASA630 NC.23811.040 was the compatible model for the Spin 5. The model I have is the Acer Spin 5 NX.GR7AA.004. Not sure about other ones.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Well if you open Device Manager select "show hidden devices" under view, open Human Interface Devices there should be an entry for HID-compliant pen. If present the device should have a digitizer and you may be able to use the ID information under Events to find out which one.
  • nabgilby
    nabgilby Member Posts: 1 New User
    frekoHormone, the only stylus I've found that is listed and tested to work with the 7th Gen, Acer Spin 5 (SP513-51N) is the Wacom Bamboo Ink (click this link https://www.wacom.com/en-us/comp, click Bamboo Ink, you'll see:

Made for Windows 10 devices

• Acer Spin 5 (SP513-51N, SP513-52N)
    While the Acer Spin 5 8th Gen is listed to come with a stylus, Bamboo Ink also works with it. I just ordered the Bamboo Ink, we'll see how it works. I wish Acer would be more clear about this, when you im or call, their support staff are NOT helpful whatsoever, they don't know anything, just read from a script, so annoying!
  • carlneves
    carlneves Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, anyone who solved this bamboo ink issue with sp513-51 ???

Bluetooth is perfectly paired, buttons working, but zero activity when touching the screen.

Please help.
  • theog1989
    theog1989 Member Posts: 1 New User
    carlneves said:
    So, anyone who solved this bamboo ink issue with sp513-51 ???

Bluetooth is perfectly paired, buttons working, but zero activity when touching the screen.

Please help.
    Carlneves you need to hold both buttons down for several seconds to change between the two compatibility modes.

I'm having issues with my bamboo ink myself, it works, however the lines I draw are broken frequently, even when pressing the pen down quite firmly, my screen has just been cleaned before testing (to be sure no fingerprints are causing problems).

Laptop: Acer Spin 5 SP515-51GN-86ZZ
    Stylus: wacom bamboo ink
    Windows is completely up to date and the wacom site lists my laptop as compatible.
  • AlwardL
    AlwardL Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Spin 5 came with Acer active stylus in the box. Works perfectly on the screen and connects via Bluetooth.
  • milacop
    milacop Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought an Acer Spin 5 SP513-53N, what stylus pen would you recommend to be compatible? 
This discussion has been closed.