Windows 10 Anniversary won't install on my Acer R7-572

Options
RMansfield
RMansfield Member Posts: 6 New User

Since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was released today, I thought I'd try to update my Acer R7-572. Not seeing it in Windows update, I downloaded the Windows 10 Update Assistant from Microsoft. When checking my system, I got a message that my display wouldn't support Windows 10 (which makes no sense considering I'm running Windows 10). Therefore, I couldn't update at all. 

Anyone else run into this? Any known solutions? 

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

The simplest method would be to download the image for the latest version, make a USB drive from it and you can run the drive directly from windows, and select upgrade. It should work fine I think.

Answers

• kim2311
    kim2311 Member Posts: 22 New User
    Options

Hi mate! have you tried to update it through windows media tool using the upgrade choice? This happened to me also last time and i upgrade it through the use of media tool microsoft have.

• sharky25k
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

The simplest method would be to download the image for the latest version, make a USB drive from it and you can run the drive directly from windows, and select upgrade. It should work fine I think.

• maxorkaGTi
    maxorkaGTi Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

Same problem here.Acer Aspire SW5-012.Update keep rolling back almost a month i think.Running Windows 10 Home 1511 (OS Build 10586.420).Stuck in 60-70% every time.Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant says i need 16GB free space for this upgrade,only have like 7gb(30GB only eMMC).So what can i do?Cant free so much space.Fresh install may be?No problem at all just dont know how to activate my new windows.Has to be no problem download lastest iso from microsoft and insall via USB.Anyone?

[edited to comply with guidelines - please do not post links to automatic downloads]

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Oh well, you will not be able to upgrade the system...Since you have just 30 GB of space the system does not have enough space to make the windows.old backup (that is the folder which has all the windows files from the previous build in case you want to go back). You can try to make a USB install disk and do a fresh install but be sure you take the 32 bit windows and also you make a backup of the entire partition. Since if something will not go well you can always restore the backup.  Please don't proceed without a backup because there are stories on the forum when they did exaclty that, and then something went wrong and they struggled some days to fix the issue.

Windows activation will be automatically. Your windows key is embedded in the BIOS so windows will take it from there. During the install if it asks for any key just press next without entering any key.

Also, be sure you download the correct version (if you have w10 home, download w10 home and not pro.), because you will not be able to activate a w10 pro with a home key or the other way around.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

maxorkaGTi wrote:

Same problem here.Acer Aspire SW5-012.Update keep rolling back almost a month i think.Running Windows 10 Home 1511 (OS Build 10586.420).Stuck in 60-70% every time.Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant says i need 16GB free space for this upgrade,only have like 7gb(30GB only eMMC).So what can i do?Cant free so much space.Fresh install may be?No problem at all just dont know how to activate my new windows.Has to be no problem download lastest iso from microsoft and insall via USB.Anyone?

[edited to comply with guidelines - please do not post links to automatic downloads]

Have you tried adding a microSD card to your system?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maxorkaGTi
    maxorkaGTi Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

sharky25k ty.Ok i'm after the new install.What you mean with backup of the entire partition.Back up windows via 3rd software i think has to be better option.Really hope new install will be ok.I believe this update is added already to lastest iso.MediaCreationTool will do job.8Gb need free on C: so that has to be the full Windows istall files to be transfered to USB and ....fresh and funky boot via USB and cross fingers.But do i really need this update?Like 16GB only windows after install humm,.whatever.

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

I mean to use a 3rd party software, eg: Reflect free ( http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx ) to make an image of the entire C partition or all the partitions. In case something goes wrong you can restore the image of the partition, or all the partitions.

It's just in case something goes really wrong or some drivers will not work after fresh install.

The aniversary update brings some new features so check on the internet if you think those could be useful to you. It's not a mandatory upgrade in my opinion.