aspire nitro vn7-791g doesn't appear to support samsung ssd 950 pro m.2

madent
madent Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all...

Went to all the trouble of disassembling my vn7-791g to install a samsung ssd 950 pro m.2 but it isn't recognised...

So brand new laptop not supporting this...ever?

Rang acer....no help

Cheers

Answers

• mentive
    mentive Member Posts: 4 New User

You should have gone with an Evo. No need for a 950 pro. I actually have a 950 pro in my desktop, and it was a waste of money. If you were rendering video or something, then it could be worth it. But I doubt a laptop will be used for such things.

Anyway, onto your issue...

You'll need to change something in the bios to make the 950 pro work. I don't know off the top of my head. The controller for the 950 pro is NVMe, not AHCI, which is most likely what it is currently set to.

You might need to flash a new bios.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Nobody told you that the M.2 port is NvMe capable and it looks like acer keeps this as a company secret (or at least they will not answer to this question). However, as philetus posted somewhere else, it looks like the intel 8 th generation chipset (which I assume you have) does not support the NvMe protocol. However, his post redirected you to a webpage where it's posted how to "hack" the BIOS in order to get support for the NvME. It looks like it does not need anything hardware special (except of course, the SSD). Here is the link but I did not try it and I think this can easily brick the entire notebook so if you plan to assume this risk.

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Now for the curious part. Normally the 950 pro should be backwards compatible, and work on SATA 3 interface if NVME is not supported. DId you try the SSD in another PC?

At least this is what I know about the NvME SSDs.

It's actually in a way Acer's fault because they advertise the V nitro series with high speed NvME drives, but this is valid just for the 592 and 792 series, thus partly misleading the customers. And they don't mention for this that the specification depends on the model. They only mention for the screen that the specification depends on the model. Just check here:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspirevnitro

• mentive

I just took a look at my bios, I own the Nitro VN7-792G. I didnt see any options to enable NVMe.

So best I can recommend is flashing a new bios and hoping for the best.

Did you leave the old HDD in it?

• mentive

sharky25k, in regards to the 950 pro being backwards compatible:

I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly, as this was back in October or so when they were first released... The 950 pro did not work in my desktop until I switched it over to NVMe in the bios. It's possible that I'm remembering wrong, and rather that the speeds were low until I did so.

• madent

mentive wrote:
    You'll need to change something in the bios to make the 950 pro work. I don't know off the top of my head. The controller for the 950 pro is NVMe, not AHCI, which is most likely what it is currently set to.

You might need to flash a new bios.

Yes, there is no nvme to select... only uefi and legacy and I have tried them both...

When I rang acer, all the guy told me (apart from several times saying I will void the warranty for any mods made which I know) was that the samsung ssd 950 pro m.2 is not supported and I need to use a kingston...

It's no big deal, I can flog the samsung on ebay...it's my own fault for assuming that the m.2 slot was compatible with the 950 pro...

I will keep the installed 2 terrabyte seagate that came with it, then do away with the bluray drive and replace it with a samsung evo in a caddy that fits in the bluray bay....

Cheers

• madent

mentive wrote:

I just took a look at my bios, I own the Nitro VN7-792G. I didnt see any options to enable NVMe.

So best I can recommend is flashing a new bios and hoping for the best.

Did you leave the old HDD in it?

Hi..

I wondered about the 792g so that answers that..

I have latest bios so updating not an option ..

Yes I left the 2tb seagate in there..

The m.2 slot is on the back of the motherboard with the memory slots... so disassembly is necessary to install the samsung ssd 950 pro..

It was disappointing to not see it show up in bios or windows...

Cheers