Acer v3-371 wireless problems

Options
frantikchicken
frantikchicken Member Posts: 2 New User

I got an SSD for Christmas, and installed it into my laptop. However, now the Wifi keeps dropping connection, and often simply says "can't connect to this network". I have tried connecting to 2 different networks where I had absolutely no issue previously. I should note: The laptop originally came with Windows 8 and I updated to Windows 10 when the option was available. Everything worked fine.

Here is what I have tried to do in order to resolve the issue so far:

- Download latest Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 drivers from the Acer website. This did not resolve the issue. 

- Put in my old harddrive. The wireless works again without a problem. I took the drivers from that windows installation onto a USB, and swapped my new drive in again. I installed that driver and again the problem did not go away. So, same driver, same computer, both on Windows 10, and the one with SSD keeps dropping connection or not connecting at all. 

Anyone have any ideas as to why this issue may be? Any help would be much appreciated!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You could install the driver from Station-drivers, a trusted site from here:http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1556&lang=fr

After installing the drivers, try Open DNS or GoogleDNS.

Go to Network Sharing centre, click your WiFi, Properties, highlight IPV4, select Properties, change the DNS address as shown in the snip.HTH.

Capture.JPG

• frantikchicken
    frantikchicken Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, thank you for the reply. I followed your steps and unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same problems. The wi-fi might work for a few hours at a time and then decides to disconnect and can't connect again. I'm noticing that when I try to connect to a network, the wireless card seems to reset itself. This is so frustrating!
  • Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I don't know the position of the wireless card in your laptop, but it sounds like it might be heat related. I say this for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I've had external USB wireless cards that misbehaved, and touching them they were really hot. The ones that didn't, never got hot.

Secondly, I put an mSATA SSD in this laptop (V3-772g) and installed Win 10 to it and left the original HDD on Win 8 and can dual boot between the 2. Using HWMonitor, I can see that the original HDD has a min temp of 25C, max 40C and tends to mostly sit at 32C. This is the same whether I am using it as the OS drive (running Win 8) or as the storage drive (with the SSD running Win 10). I keep HWMonitor up at all times as the SSD became drive 0 and both OS power down the original HDD after just TWENTY seconds of its last access without it.

The SSD will also sit at a cool 32C when I am using the HDD for Win 8, but even when it appears to be doing absolutely nothing, when I am using Win 10 it sits at 56C, lowest recorded temp is 34C and highest is 60C. That's 20C higher at max and 24C higher most of the rest of the time.

I don't know if your SSD (I'm assuming 2.5") has the same heat issues as my mSATA SSD, but I think I'd be running HWMonitor (or your choice of sensor monitoring software) and having a look at how much heat it's banging out. It might be unrelated if your wifi card is nowhere near the SSD, if you have a laptop cooling pad, maybe try it with the fan on and see if the issue persists.

Since you are using the same driver, that shouldn't be the issue. You might also check your power saving settings. Perhaps they are set differently on your SSD install to your HDD one? Swap the drives again and take a detailed look at all the settings and compare. (Settings>System>Power & Sleep>Additional Power Settings>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Wireless Adapter Settings)