My R1-131T N3050 configured with Windows 10 from new is slow. Will a simple RAM upgrade work?

mollyirwinclark
mollyirwinclark Member Posts: 2 New User

Also, I have read the posts about converting from HDD to SDD but it's not clear if this is possible with this model. Should I just take it back to the shop PCWorld and ask for my money back?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

R3-131T? Not very hard. I sent you a PM.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I believe that the N3050 models are not easily upgrable. My N3700 p344 now has 8GB and a SSD. Seems much faster.

• philetus

padgett is correct (thanks padgett). The 32GB of “internal storage” is a eMMC chip soldered to the motherboard. You can upgrade the memory to 8GB though. Sorry for steering you wrong on the HDD/SSD.

• mollyirwinclark
    mollyirwinclark Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry I meant R3-131T as you queried.

Thanks for your help.

It seems you and Padgett are now saying that upgrade from HDD to SDD for this model is too difficult, at least for non-techie users like me,  despite your explanation of how to remove the HDD? Is it worth  doing anyway say by the factory?

I guess RAM upgrade is simple but will it improve speeds?

The real question is should I have even been sold this model with Windows 10...? Seems like a con; I'm not sure if I can get an upgrade from teh shop

• philetus

The upgrade to 8GB memory would improve things some, but not like memory and a hard drive would.

The factory or a tech shop can't do anything for it short of putting a different motherboard and it would end up costing you more than the laptop cost. This is what your "SSD" looks like,

download (1).jpg

It is a chip that has more in common with a sdcard than a SSD. Windows 10 isn't the problem, it would run the same with any operating system.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Part of the problem is that the N3050 is essentially half of a N3700 (two cores/threads vs 4) and has a slightly slower clock. Every now and then Acer (and others) come out with a design to hit a price point but with greatly reduced performance. To call both a R3-131T when they are so different just confuses people.