No audio (speakers) - brand new Predator 15 G9-591-70VM (running windows 10)

Seferbo
Seferbo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I just recieved my new Predator 15 G9-591-70VM the other day, turned it on, and after being dazzled by it's beauty noticed that I was getting no sound. Headphones work fine with any of the drivers I've tried, it's the speakers I'm having issues with. Over the last few days I've tried a great deal of things but could only partially solve the problem. I'm going to list below what I've ruled out or tried.

Basics (these apply to all instances of me changing drivers/settings):

-My speakers are not muted.

-They are set to default device

-My headphones are not plugged in

-Aside from the exception listed below, only 1 deviced is shown in the list of playback devices, regardless of whether headphones are plugged in or not

More advanced (Unless otherwise stated, each point listed produced no audio):

-Came with a Realtek HD audio driver

-Let windows automatically search for latest driver, it failed to update driver because it timed out.

-Uninstalled driver and restarted computer, allowed windows to automatically reinstall a driver (was a month old Realtek driver, I assume the one that was installed initially)

-Downloaded latest Realtek driver from Realtek website, ran it's setup exe which had me uninstall current driver, restart, install the downloaded driver, restart.

-Downloaded latest driver listed on Acer website when searching for me 591 model. Uninstalled current driver, installed this one and restarted.

-Chose to update driver and reverted to Microsofts "High Definition Audio Device". Initially no sound however I looked in my playback devices and now had 2 devices shown, speakers and headphones. My headphones were set to default so I switch that to speakers and VOILA, I had sound.... Only thing was BOTH channels (left n right) are coming from my left speakers. I checked through balance settings n things, messed around with a few, but always the sound came through my left speakers.

I've spoker to Acer support online and after having me uninstall the driver and restart to find that the problem wasn't fixed, they told me it's probably my speakers and I should return it or send it into them for repairs...

Clearly my speakers (well at least one) have functionality. If I had to guess this appears driver related, or perhaps more broadly stated, some breakdown of communication between operating system and hardware. I have seen quite a few posts about people having audio issues with Windows 10 but unfotunately I can't revert back to an older version of windows to test that. I'm hoping I can find a solution on my own and avoid the hassle of returning the thing. If you have any ideas as to what I should try next, or if you are certain it's a lost cause, please let me know! I'd greatly appreciate it Smiley Happy 

Edit 1-3-16 at 6:43 PST (Rewording and grammar)

Answers

• maazpervez
    maazpervez Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the exact same problem. I installed a fresh copy of windows, only the woofer was working, its situated on the left hence the sound from left side of laptop only. Once I install realtek drivers, even the woofer stopped working.

• maazpervez
    maazpervez Member Posts: 2 New User

Is there a solution for this or do I have to claim warranty? 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

I have a similar issue on a non Acer desktop with windows 10.

rear speaker jack is not working and front headphones jack has only left channel audio.

on my system i noticed that even setting speakers as default device, i had no sound but digital audio still have the sound bar moving as having sound output (this looking at playback devices)

i had even issues on switching the default playback device until i completly disable digital audio but after that....i can have sound only on left side headphones.

so, it can be some windows update that corrupted the audio settings; i'm still investigating.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cherubimzion
    Cherubimzion Member Posts: 5 New User

Did you ever get a resolution to this? Currently sitting on hold with Acer for the exact same problem for my predator 15 that arrived today from Amazon.

• Shadowwzrd
    Shadowwzrd Member Posts: 2 New User

Im having the same problem but whats wierd is the speakers work fine only when i have my headphones plugged into the Microphone jack instead of the Audio Jack, other than that they will not work no matter what, I've tried rolling back the drivers and  getting the latest ones etc. yet nothing prevailed

• Cherubimzion
    Cherubimzion Member Posts: 5 New User

I attempted essentially everything to resolve the problem myself. There was no sound from the speakers out of the box. My USB headset (logitech 930) worked fine.

Of note, I also had issues with the graphics driver failing and being restarted on several occasions during testing.

Ultimately I called Acer and the tech quickly determined I had done literally everything they would suggest I do before I called. They suggested a return to Amazon.

I submitted the return, 2 days later the replacement arrived and works fantastic, no sound issue and no graphics driver crash. Clearly some of them just got bum speakers or bad drivers, but tnohing seemed to resolve it on my end.

Hope this helps others. I would still suggest trrying reinstalling the drivers and other fairly simple fixes, but if you have this model, and particularly from Amazon, I wouldn't waste too much time before requesting a replacement. Other then that brief issue and 2 days of shipping...I love this laptop, just hope it holds up as long as my previous Asus did.

• Seferbo
    Seferbo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey everyone, sorry for such a delayed reply...school has been rough and I got caught up in the hustle and bustle. 

I did not find a fix for the issue unfortunately. I spoke with another acer rep as well as a windows rep. The acer rep essentially did the same as the previous, had me reinstall a driver and then said to return it or send it in for repairs (free of charge...but it'd take 2-4 weeks which, in my opinion, is completely unacceptable for an issue encountered out of the box). The windows rep was much more knowledgeable and pleasureable to work with. He went so far as to remote control my desktop, checked for various updates, tried altering a few more driver and sound settings, reinstalled a driver for a slightly different model laptop, etc, but still, no success. He said it was a "compatibility issue" which was knowingly vague but I agree that somewhere along the line there was some sort of communication failure. I was going to boot up ubuntu from a dvd to perhaps rule out the operating system but I never got around to it (no dvds at my apt). 

I ended up returning the computer through amazon (for a replacement) simply because of the speed of the process. The new computer was 1-day shipped to me and that begins as soon as you place the request, not when they receive the old computer. This new computer's sound worked flawlessly right out of the box. Everything else seems to be working great and aside from the issue we are discussing, I'm very happy with my decision to purchase this predator.

Best of luck to you all, and I feel for the frustration. Also thank you for replying, nice to bring to light an issue that has happened more than once.

• Tez
    Tez Member Posts: 2 New User

I just purchased me a G9 593, it has the same problem. I am only getting audio through the sub speaker. it was working fine tell I did a fresh install of windows. however it has a nice litte boot sound and the speakers wor just fine than, but than once in windows it's onlt the sub that works.

please can someon point us to the driver that will fixt this problem?