H277HU 27" - Mac Book Pro 13" late 2016 (with touchbar). USB-C not charging laptop.

Options
badas
badas Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi!

Have anyone experience why the monitor is not charging a Mac Book Pro 13" late 2016 (with touchbar) using the USB-C cable? The battery indicator on macOS Sierra shows "charging" but the battery percentage slowly decreses and finally the computer shuts down. Seems it doesnt get full charging power from the montior through the USB-C cable, shouldnt this work?

Any solution for this would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• badas
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi again!

I just want to say that after the latest update of macOS Sierra the monitor is now charging correctly my laptop! Smiley Happy

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

The USB-C port can charge small electronics such as your phone or a tablet. It does not put out enough power to charge a laptop. There is a menu setting for power-off USB charge that is set to Off, by default. You can enable this by going to the On Screen Menu settings using the buttons on the monitor. When you are at the home page go down to the icon that looks like a wrench and it should be the last setting listed.

• anahaym
    anahaym Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Hi,

could i connect two H277HU 27 to Mac Book Pro 13" late 2016 over one USB-C port?
    One monitor connects to Mac Book Pro 13" to USB-C, and another monitors connects to first Monitor?

Then i have free USB-C on Mac Book Pro 13" for charging.

• badas
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi again!

I just want to say that after the latest update of macOS Sierra the monitor is now charging correctly my laptop! Smiley Happy

• WoodyB
    WoodyB Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi Badas,

I am about to buy a MacBook Pro 13" late 2016.  I think it requires 61W power but I believe H277HU 27" can supply only 60W.

Did macOS Sierra update really solve the charging issue you had?  I would really love not having the attach a separate cable with the Apple adapter to charge.

Thank you!

• badas
    Options

Hi WoodyB!

Yes I can confirm that the screen is charging my macbook pro. Im writing this post while connected to the screen. I had 30% before I connected the screen to the mac. Now I have 75%. It charges a little bit slower compared to apples battery charger. No biggie.

Im super happy its working and my desk i super clean from unnecessary cabels. If you buy the screen remember to use the USB-C cable included from the screen. I started using apple's charging USB-C cable to connect the screen with my mac book pro and didnt get any display. Further investigation showed me that the included apple's USB-C cable is only a charging and not for transferring data.

I bought the screen here:

https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/253605-acer_h277husmipuz-27_1440p_ips-4ms-dp_hdmi_usb-c

There you can see the model I bought: Acer H277HUsmipuz

Let me know if you have further questions!

[edited for clarity]

• WoodyB
    Options

Hi Badas, 

Thanks so much for your reply! You re the only help I got from the whole worldwide web. Smiley Happy

I already bought the the screen and I m using it for displaying and charging my MacBook 12" 2015. I m not 100% sure if the USB-C cable I m using is the one that came with the screen. I vaguely remember that something was missing when I unboxed it. Is the cable you re using a black color one, about 3 feet long?  The head looks like this (please see attched image)IMG_5345.JPG

• badas
    Options

Hi again!

Im glad I could help! Smiley Happy

Yes, thats exactly the same cable im using. See my attachments:

image2.jpgimage.jpg

Thats my Mac Book Pro 13" late 2016 (with touchbar) just for clarify.

Let me know if you have further questions!

• WoodyB
    Options

Oh it even charges and displays well on the right side ports. Thank you Badas! Smiley HappySmiley Happy

• badas
    Options

Yeah! I tried all the ports right and left side. Everyone is charging the computer and outputs to the display Smiley Happy

Super convenient! Smiley Happy 

• shaycarmel
    shaycarmel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Did anybody upgraded to high sierra? If so does the screen charges the macbook now?
  • badas
    Options

Hi!

I havent done it but I will probably do it this weekend. I will come back with the result as soon when I updateded the os.

Thanks!

• shaycarmel
    shaycarmel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    For me , after the update , the macbook chargers really slow... Like really really slow...
  • WoodyB
    Options

It still charges my MacBook 12" ok.

• LAG1824
    LAG1824 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    badas said:

Hi!

Have anyone experience why the monitor is not charging a Mac Book Pro 13" late 2016 (with touchbar) using the USB-C cable? The battery indicator on macOS Sierra shows "charging" but the battery percentage slowly decreses and finally the computer shuts down. Seems it doesnt get full charging power from the montior through the USB-C cable, shouldnt this work?

Any solution for this would be much appreciated.

Hey! 

I recently bought the MacBook Pro late 2016 with touch bar and the monitor but instead of having trouble with charging, I’m having trouble with the display through USB-C. I connect the USB-C and  No picture comes through the monitor. What cable are you using? I’m using the one that comes with the monitor. Please help. 
  • LAG1824
    LAG1824 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey guys, 

Need help! 
    I have the same monitor and MacBook, I’m only getting charging but no display. I connect the MacBook to the monitor and the monitor just goes blank. The MacBook does not detect it. What should I do? 

Thank you!