Is it normal 5750G overheats everytime the bottom air vent is not free/covered by a surface?

Options
Magic
Magic Member Posts: 6 New User

I've got 5750G since 2011 and ever since I got the laptop, if I had the air vent on the  bottom of the laptop covered, which means all the time unless you prop it up on a book or a small box, since if you have it on a table or a bed or any kind of surface it's always covered, the laptop overheats and shuts down while gaming?

Is this normal or is it something with my model? The laptop has been in service once to replace the HDD, so I think they probably would've found out if there was something wrong with it.

If it's normal, then this is absolutely horrible design. Whoever thought of anything like this? All other laptops I've seen don't need to be propped up on some kind of a box or something to have the air vent on the left bottom side free, or have the left part of the laptop hanging over a surface, which is sometimes tricky since you can't always be at the edge of the table.

What are you using to uncover the bottom vent? I usually just put the laptop on a book.

Answers

• mrpete
    mrpete Member Posts: 32 New User
    Options

https://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Fan-Control-Problems-With-5750G-And-similar-machines/td-p/12555/page/22

Unfortunately, it is not very unusual for that style of laptop design from Acer to overheat. But there is hope.

First, check out the thread at the link above. It's a HUGE thread with over 400 posts as many of us have heat problems. There are several similarly designed models to which the thread pertains, including yours and mine. Some Acer fan control software is offered. See page 33. I recommend the slightly tweaked version from Gaboros.

Second, your laptop is no longer a "spring chicken," so I HIGHLY recommend getting the fan cleaned out and the CPU re-pasted. It is a pain to do it, but either you should do it or you should get someone who knows how to disassemble your laptop to do those things. Think of it as an oil change for the laptop. In my experience vacuuming while assembled is usually not as good as disassembly and cleaning. The thermal paste on the CPU may well be old and dry. You may need new thermal pads for the GPU if the disassembly is done and the heat sink is removed.

Good Luck!

• Magic
    Magic Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

What I meant is, is it normal that the laptop ALWAYS overheats while playing a game if you dont't prop it up on something, as when the bottom intake air vent is covered, it always overheats? Other laptops don't need a part of the bottom chassis to be uncovered, so others can play on their laptops on a table, and don't need to move it to the edge, so a part of it is exposed, or put it up on a book.

• blake
    blake Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

I would suggest you get a laptop cooling pad. it has fans on it and you plug it into the usb port.

i have one which is reversable so it keeps the laptop from overheating. hope this helps.