Can anyone tell me if you can install windows 10 pro on an Acer 6935G?

Options
johnj
johnj Member Posts: 18 New User

Hi, has anyone installed Windows 10 on an Acer 6935G? and did they have any problems running it on this laptop and do I need to install any drivers from another Windows system as Acer does not support my 6935G for Windows 10. I'm having a new motherboard fitted as the last one gave up on me and I don't want to compromise a new motherboard as it is expensive to buy and have fitted.  I installed Windows 8 from DVD & upgraded to 8.1 & Windows 10 before, but don't know if this may of caused the problem with my motherboard. I did my upgrades when Windows 10 was a freebie. Would I be able to re-install Windows 10 after fitting new motherboard and would it recognise my Windows 8 activation key?

Thanks for any help guys.

John

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

new motherboard = new activation

so if you have a valid windows 8 product key, go for a windows 10 clean install and input the windows 8 product key when requested.(if they don't blocked this on the last few days, since the free upgrade period is ended)

about windows 10 and fried motherboard, i don't think it's related.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • johnj
    Options

Thanks very much for quick reply Ironfly.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

The specs look capable but with only 2GB of memory I'd stick to 10-32. They say it can be upgraded to 4GB with two DIMMs but I do not always trust the specs.

As to the free upgrade if M$ matches the ID with a previous install then it will upgrade. If not the key may not work. Did you save the key(s) from the previous motherboard ? I always save all keys offline.

• johnj
    Options

Hello Ace, thanks for reply. I don't understand what you mean by saving the motherboard key. Can you advise me please.

Regards

John

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Many times the Windows license key is stored in the CMOS memory and can be retrieved by third party apps as from Nirsoft. If you changed the MB you probably also changed the CMOS memory.