Problems installing SSD (E5-574G-54XQ)

Options
Yaana
Yaana Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Greetings! I have searched the net and this forum to try and find a solution on my own but have now reached the conclusion that I will not be able to solve this on my own. I am a hardware person so installing stuff and software just does not agree with me, unfortunately. :c

Background

I had decided to upgrade my E5-574G with an SSD as it is getting slow. It currently got a 1TB harddrive installed and in use. I bought a Samsung 850-series EVO 500GB as it is a well-known brand of SSDs. I also bought a bay for the SSD which fit into the laptop without problems.

At first I considered cloning the content of the HDD to the SSD but with further reading I came to the understanding that a clean installation is preferred (it does not take long either). I bougth a USB-memorystick of 16GB and created a media installation, the official one by Microsoft. It installed correctly on the USB.

The Problem(s)

I removed the HDD, did not clean it of its content in case of problems. I installed the SSD with the bay I bought, put in the USB-memorystick in the laptop and booted..

The bios did detect the SSD but it could not be chosen as a booting device, neither could the USB-memorystick which was the one I was supposed to boot with. No booting device at all was detected. I put in the HDD again as I needed the laptop today (my attempt was yesterday). The SSD is still in the laptop but is not detected as a device I can use in Windows to even store files. The USB-memorystick needs to be reformatted according to Windows to be used but the reformatting can not complete it says. ~

I am open to suggestion as what to try next! I have Windows 10 on the laptop.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

download the windows 10 iso file version you need using the Microsoft tool.

once done, download Rufus

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive and set Rufus as on the mainpage screen (to load the iso file, you need to click on the little icon on the right side of iso image.

Burn the iso file, then shutdown your laptop.

put the SSD on your laptop and take off the HDD, plug the USB flash drive

boot your laptop pressing F2 and check on BIOS:

UEFI must be enabled

F12 boot menu must be enabled

once done press F10 to save and exit

at nxt boot press F12 and choose the USB flash drive (normally listed with brand and model).

remember to delete everything on your SSD before continue to install.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

download the windows 10 iso file version you need using the Microsoft tool.

once done, download Rufus

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive and set Rufus as on the mainpage screen (to load the iso file, you need to click on the little icon on the right side of iso image.

Burn the iso file, then shutdown your laptop.

put the SSD on your laptop and take off the HDD, plug the USB flash drive

boot your laptop pressing F2 and check on BIOS:

UEFI must be enabled

F12 boot menu must be enabled

once done press F10 to save and exit

at nxt boot press F12 and choose the USB flash drive (normally listed with brand and model).

remember to delete everything on your SSD before continue to install.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Yaana
    Yaana Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for the help! The media creation tool by Microsoft was the problem, apparently. The USB-memorystick got write-protected and stuff. ISO-file and Rufus worked without any problems! (on a new usb-memorystick >_<) Smiley Happy

Edit: Spelling.