can't install windows on acer aspire m1610

Options
mogseyoboyle
mogseyoboyle Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having trouble installing windows 7 on my Aspire M1610. I have had to replace the hard drive and the recovery discs have gone missing, moved house. I have tried vista also, which it came with, should I be able to use a retail copy of windows and get a clean install or do I need an Acer branded disc for bios reasons or something?

I'm confused. I thought any retail disc woulld install on any pc as long as you had the drivers and correct product key.

I get as far as selecting the disc partition and then windows copies, installs and says saving and setting up services and then when it says restarting to complete installation it wont boot.

Im using a wd 2.5" 320GB sata drive. Should this just work?

Thanks in advance

Mogsey

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

This model should support up to a 500GB SATA hard drive. While you can install any version of Windows you want, our support is limited to the OEM version that shipped on it from factory. If you don’t have your back up media, you can check availability at the Acer store at store.acer.com. Click the link for eRecovery and enter the serial number or SNID of the system in the field.

• mogseyoboyle
    mogseyoboyle Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi Mary

It turns out the hd was not bootable for some reason. A new hd solved my problem.

Thanks for your reply.

regards

Lee