Acer Aspire U5-710 disassembly guide

Options
Shturmovik
Shturmovik Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi!

I've been looking all over the net for some U5-710 teardown guide, but seems no one has risked it so far. =)

Unfortunately, my U5-710 showed me no mercy and started to produce some strange sounds, which I wasn't able to locate and therefore to estimate the future effects of them. I decided to disassemble it myself, which turned out to be quite easy.

!DISCLAIMER: If you do anything to your AIO, I'm not responsible for any possible damage!

1. Allright. I've been using iFIXIT Pro set of tools, more than enought for the purpose. The only screwdriver size  you will need is PH2.

Spoiler

01.jpg

2. Place your AIO on some good surface facing down, use something soft under the screen, not to scratch or break it. I was using large thin pillow. Firstly you should remove the upper back cover of the AIO. Apply little force, be careful and follow the cover perimeter. Remove the cover. You now have access to the coolers. (Any idea how to replace 'em?)

Spoiler

02.jpg

3. Once removed the upper cover you can now disconnect the stand. Unscrew the 6 black screws (yellow). Then remove the lower back cover by unscrewing the rest of small screws (red) and then pop it out like the upper one.

Spoiler
04.jpg05.jpg07.jpg

4. Now you have free access to the hard drive. Just accurately remove the foil tape, unscrew 1 screw (red), slide the box right and disconnect the cables. You can replace it now.

Spoiler

08.jpg

5. To the right you have the plate that covers the mainboard. Carefully remove the little foil in the upper left of the plate. Unscrew where it has "A" mark (red).

Spoiler

09.jpg

6. Here we go. You see the mainboard. Now we can upgrade the memory or smth else (wlan, etc).

Sorry, on the photo HDD has already been removed.

Spoiler

10.jpg

CAUTION! The red rectangle shows where the thermal paste is now open to the air. Be careful with it.

The ODD can be replaced pretty much the same way.

The only thing I was not able to reach this time is the LITE-ON M.2 SSD drive which also deserves replacements due to its specs. I just did not have enough time to disconnect all those pins and cables. I believe, it should be somewhere under the board. I'm going to do this somewhere in the near future.

If anyone goes that far, please make some photos.

The main goal of going inside the U5-710 AIO was to locate the sound of what turned out to be the spinning up cooler fan (I'm going to post a new thread about it). For I was hoping it to be the HDD sound, but nope.

Anyway, hope anyone can find my photos useful.