error 0xA000000E on reinstall recovery disk 1 extensa 5630z

Options
kidzip
kidzip Member Posts: 6 New User

trying to reinstall windows on extensa 5630z with recovery media i purchased from Acer store. Reason is original hardrive failed. I pulled a hardrive from another laptop, formatted it and placed the system disk in the CD. I booted to the cd and the system disk installed windows. it then asked for the recovery disk which i inserted. The disk drive made a crunching noise and spit the disk out giving me the above mentioned error code. I removed the hardrive, reformatted it, checked it for errors and found none. Reinstalled and tried again with the same result. The cd drive is working because it loads the system disk. If i put the second recovery disk in, it spits it out and asks for the first...suggestion? any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• philetus
    Options

http://www.barrywheeler.ca/acer-aspire-restore-failed-reason-0xa000000e/

If you own an Acer laptop and are trying to do a system restore, the message Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e means you have to delete the existing partitions from the hard disk drive before you start the restore process.  This will suck if you have data on any of those partitions, but if you are doing regular backups, you should have no concerns.

• philetus
    Options

If you own an Acer laptop and are trying to do a system restore, the message Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e means you have to delete the existing partitions from the hard disk drive before you start the restore process.  This will suck if you have data on any of those partitions, but if you are doing regular backups, you should have no concerns.

http://www.barrywheeler.ca/acer-aspire-restore-failed-reason-0xa000000e/

• philetus
    Options

Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e.  Not a good sign at 10:00 pm at night.  My first thought was maybe it was the hard drive that had failed instead of just being corrupt.  I had to try again and this time the system restore proceeded just a little further.  The Acer Aspire system restore got to the screen where I selected the language, proceeded to the message where it indicated that the system restore would erase all the data on Drive C: and then Restore Failed – Reason 0x000000e.

With the lack of a floppy disk drive in this Acer Aspire Laptop, I felt a little like a fish out of water.  I’m old school and 99.9 percent of my utilities still exist on 3.5″ floppies or exist on my Linux systems.  Not a problem however, there’s a great utility CD that you can download and create perhaps one of the best Boot CDs around – the Ultimate Boot CD.

For those who are not familiar with the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), this is CD that is jammed packed with some of the best computer utilities around.  It has programs that will allow you to change Windows XP passwords if you forget them, programs to erase hard drives, and diagnostic programs to test hardware.  Best of all, the Ultimate Boot CD is free and it runs in a Linux based kernel!

I downloaded the latest version of the Ultimate Boot CD (version 4.1.1 at the time of this article), burned the ISO version I downloaded onto a CD and booted the laptop.  My first thought was to wipe the hard drive using one of the hard disk drive utilities, but this failed and the error indicated the hard disk drive had failed.  Not a good sign at 10:15 pm at night!

In goes the UBCD, and this time, I decided to try some FileSystem Utilities.  In here, I loaded some Partition Utilities and a free version of FDISK, a program that would allow me to delete any partitions that existed on the hard drive.  I discovered 2 partitions – one was the Windows Vista NTFS partitition and the other was a “Non-DOS” partition” used by the Acer Aspire system restore process to reload the laptop.

Contrary to what the Acer Aspire documentation stated, I knew from previous experience that the system partition was not required.  There was enough information on the Acer Aspire System Restore disks to reload the laptop if I could get the restore process started.  It would be faster if I could use the system restore partition and to hopefully get to bed a little earlier, I just deleted the Primary Partition C: and restarted the Acer Aspire System Reload processes again.

Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e.  Not a good sign at 10:30 pm.

Was the hard disk drive actually failed?  I didn’t think so.  In goes the UBCD, Filesystem Utilities, Partition Utilities, Free FDISK and there went the “Non-DOS” partition with the system restore information.  If the hard disk drive had failed, I wasn’t going to have to wait the extra 10 minutes to reload the system anyway.  I would get Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e – and my night would be finished anyway.

With both partitions deleted, the Acer Aspire System Restore process started and voila – it continued and there was no Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e.  I let the process finish and Windows Vista installed along with all the drivers and bundled software.

The next morning, I was now curious if the Acer Aspire System Restore process would work with any existing partitions and it ran through successfully the 3 times I tried it.  The fourth time however, Restore Failed – Reason 0xa000000e, and it failed again.  This led me to believe that there is some problem with this particular version of the Acer Aspire System Restore CDs which occassionally failed when any partitions existed on the hard disk drive.  A bit of research on the Internet indicated that this was a common issue with many of the Acer Restore CDs, not just those for the Acer Aspire.

by Barry Wheeler 

atWWW Barry Wheeler

• philetus
    Options

• philetus
    Options

barrywheeler.ca/acer-aspire-restore-failed-reason-0xa000000e/

• philetus
    Options

• kidzip
    Options

i pulled the hard disc out and booted it to a windows 8 machine via a USB reader. Initially I quick formatted the drive and then reinstalled it and tried to boot from the system disc Acer had sent. It loaded Windows but when asked for the recovery disk i received the above error. I tried all sorts of DOS based formaters like fdisk but its not meant for windows 7 from what i have read. In a final attempt, i pulled the disc out and reconnected to my windows 8 machine and am in the middle of a complete format. Its been running for over two hours and only has reached 40%. I will then reinstall and try again. Any other ideas on how to reformat with links, would be aprreciated....thanks for the reply

• philetus
    Options

go to Barrywheelerdotca acer-aspire-restore-failed-reason-0xa000000e 

• kidzip
    Options

is that a link because when i copied and pasted to the search on the forum, nothing came up..what is the exact link please

• kidzip
    Options

found it but the software he refers to does not work for windows 7 or hard drives bigger than 128mb...

• philetus
    Options

It pertains to Acer Aspire System Restore DVDs and error 0xA000000E

• kidzip
    Options

i read it but am not sure how to partition the hard drive..suggestions?

• philetus
    Options

He seems to be saying he deleted the partitions and didn't repartition them and started the Acer Aspire System Restore process again.Can't hurt to try.

• kidzip
    Options

ok here we go. after reformatting the hard drive attached to a windows 8 machine via a usb card reader, i reinstalled it int the acer laptop. this time i booted to the recovery disk 1 FIRST, not the system disk like i had done in prior attempts. TADA!!!!!!!  It loaded windows Vista as it was supposed to.. Thanks for the help

• philetus
    Options

Glad you got it. Sorry for all the posts. Last night when I would try to post it would say it posted and nothing would be so, I kept trying until one stuck. Now here they all are.

This discussion has been closed.