No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key (PXE-MOF)

Options
xexijreil
xexijreil Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everybody,

I have an Acer Aspire One 722-C62rr. Today I can't boot it, haven't made any changes for this to happen.

When I boot it, after Acer logo, it says this:

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I've looked for info about this topic and have checked some things that are recommended with no success.

1. I've tried changing boot order.

2. I've disconnected and reconnected the HD. The model I have it's a WD3200BPVT-22JJ5TO

3. I've changed Sata Mode in BIOS: AHCI to IDE (but still the same so I put AHCI again)

4. I've repeated step 2 checking connections thoroughly.

5. I've tried pressing ALT+F10 to see if I could restore anything from Acer Management tool but it didn't prompt.

When I enter Bios, I can see:

Information: HDD Model Name and HDD serial Number

Boot: HDD0: WDC WD3200BPVT-22JJ5TO

So if BIOS recognizes it why it won't do it later? What do you recommend me to solve this? I'd like to keep my files.

I've thought of trying to connect it as slave to another PC but I'd have to buy an adaptor to USB. What else could I do?

Any input will be appreciated.

Greetings.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

First, I would definitely look into an alternative for backing up your data from this hard drive, such as a HDD dock to connect oto a second computer or if you have a desktop tower hook it into your bay and see if you can copy the files that way.

The only thing I can think that would cause the system to not boot from your HDD but still be detected in the BIOS, would be that the boot manager is corrupt or missing. This would require a format of the HDD or if the HDD is bad, replacement.

• xexijreil
    xexijreil Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi, I've tried using an usb adapter to connect the HD to another laptop but it doesn't recognize it. I've also tried to connect it via usb to the Aspire One, trying to make it boot from the usb with no success. When I do this and enter BIOS, the HD it's not recognized, but if I put it again in its place, BIOS tells me it's there.

So I don't really know what to do, cause there are very important files I would like to backup. Would there be anyway of backing them up if the boot manager is corrupted?

Thanks a lot for your help Ryan!!!

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

xexijreil,

I am sorry that you have not been able to pull your personal information off the drive. I normally have great success with using a HDD dock to USB and plugging it into another computer to pull the files off, however if this is not the case and it is not being recognized then the drive may be done and needs replacement.

As for pulling your files off outside seeking a local tech that specializes in data retrieval I can't think of another method than the HDD dock and connecting to another working computer. I sincerely hope you get your files as I know how important some files can be.

This discussion has been closed.