HDD install in Acer R7 572G

Options
Andrik
Andrik Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Hi,

I recently bought an acer r7 572G (europeon model) with a 256Gb ssd.

After looking inside the machine the ssd actually appears to be a mSata drive.

So the slot for an 2,5" hdd/ssd is empty. Now I want to install a ssd drive in that spot but I'm missing two parts:

- a bracket for the hdd. (part 33.M9UN2.004)

- some kind of special acer SATA connector to connect the HDD to the motherboard.

This last part, the sata connector, is something of a mystery. I can't find it anywhere listed. So far, acer hasn't been able to help me.

So my question to you other R7 users out there, could someone, with a Hdd installed in that slot (most 572 and 571 versions) please post a picture of the sata bridge/part (which connects the hdd to the motherboard) so I have some visual reference as to what I'm looking for?

I would be most grateful!

thanks in advance and kind regards,

Andrik

EDIT:

I included a picture of anandtech site showing the internals of the R7 WITH an 2,5" hdd. I circled the part I need. Hope someone can take a clear picture of the part or perhaps even knows the part number.Acer R7 Internals2.jpg

Answers

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I was just inside my R7 and I see the connector you mean. Here's a picture where you can see "ST 3174" on it:

http://i.imgur.com/9XKvzD5.jpg

And it just slides out of the original connector here: http://i.imgur.com/vX8icqj.jpg

It looks like it might be some sort of straightforward SATA L-bracket? I hadn't seen such a thing before.

Hope this helps!

• Andrik

Tinkerer

Options

HI PenguinJim

Thanks very much!! Exactly what I needed. It seems to me it's some kind of molex sata interposer connector which is also used in some Dell models...

Maybe those are interchangeable....well anyway Thanks a lot! You've really helped me out here.

regards,

Andrik

• Andrik

Tinkerer

Options

Well thanks to Acer support and Jim, I've found the part!

for those wanting to know, it's part number: 20.M9UN2.001

This discussion has been closed.