E1-572 Sleep black screen

Options
jr52
jr52 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hey,

Updated to windows 8.1 a few weeks ago and have been having problems ever since. The main issue is the screen will not wake out of sleep mode at all. It goes to sleep fine when i shut the lid, but when i open the lid and move the mouse(or wireless) or touch the keyboard it doesnt work. I push the power button and it turns on, sounds like its running but will stay locked on the black screen. The only way around it is if i reboot the system holding down the power key.

Things i have tried: (which dont work at all)

1. Updating the intel graphics drivers, several times to no avail. Some rebooting straight away, some not rebooting straight away, ideas ive read on other forums that people say worked.
  2. Reverted to old intel graphics driver for windows 8
  3. Check device manager to see what device will awake it from seelp. Interesting to see that there is only a "power option" to wake inside the logitech wireless mouse i have plugged in (set to wake it up and it doesnt). I noticed that the keyboard and trackpad have no power options to wake it from sleep?? 
  4. Check power options for sleep etc

Watched a lof of videos and read a lot of about this. It seems to be a problem with several models after the 8.1 update.

aspire e1-572
13-4010u, Intel HD 4400 Graphics

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi..

You may check if you have the latest version of BIOS installed on your computer.

The latest BIOS update is V 2.13

To find your current BIOS version in Windows, please follow the steps below :

Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + X, select Run, and then type msinfo32 and hit the Enter key.I

in system Information window, click System Summary and locate your current BIOS Version/Date to the right.

Answers

• jr52
    Options

:::::::UPDATE:::::::

if i leave the laptop to go to sleep, i can awake it. 

----however

if i shut the lid, i cannot get it to awake back to windows. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

You might want to try updating the Intel chipset driver if you haven't already. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jr52
    Options

hey,

That doesnt work either. Even after reboot and trying again.

This seems to be a problem across multiple devices & brands.

what else?

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi..

You may check if you have the latest version of BIOS installed on your computer.

The latest BIOS update is V 2.13

To find your current BIOS version in Windows, please follow the steps below :

Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + X, select Run, and then type msinfo32 and hit the Enter key.I

in system Information window, click System Summary and locate your current BIOS Version/Date to the right.

• jr52
    Options

Cheers,

BIOS 2.02

SMBIOS 2.7

I will update the BIOS now, once i figure out how to do it safely etc. Then i will get back to here.

thanks.

• jr52
    Options

Ok for those who come across this thread with the same problem.

This is the exact update i installed and it seems to have fixed my problem

Note: Relevant to my machine

BIOS | ACER | 1. Update WMI table | 2.13 | 5.1MB | 2014/02/12

I am not sure if my previous steps helped in any way, but i have tested manual sleep mode, shutting the lid and re-opening it several times and it now works.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

>>> once i figure out how to do it safely>>>

>>> update i installed and it seems to have fixed my problem>>>

Congrats. Weren't you a bit apprehensive during the installation? 8^) Sharangi sure seems to know his stuff!

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.