laptop fan isn't working

Options
netaliv
netaliv Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, I just noticed that my laptop's air fan is not working. I think it has been like this for months, but recently my computer's preformances has became quite lousy. Does it has abything to do with the fan not wirking?  How do I fix it?

some info: windows office 2007 home premium, acer aspire 5740, 

thanks! Smiley Happy

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

If your fan is not working then it is possible that the processor is slowing down to avoid heat damage, but more likely it would physically shut the unit off it the issue was severe. Are you sure it's not spinning? Can you see that it is stationary? the best thing to do would be to try and clean the unit with a copressed air can. Try to get out as much dust as possible. If the fan still isn't working it's worth having it replaced. Fans are very cheap are not at all hard to replace, but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you're not technically inclined. Furthermore, if your unit is running slow likely it is because the unit is becomming bogged down. This can be due to registry errors in windows (natural degrading with use) and extra programs taking up space. If you're not sure how to fix this issue I would suggest simply doing a recovery to bring your computer back to factory original settings.

You'll need to back up your files first but if you're interested in learning more please feel free to ask.

• chanchalkst
    chanchalkst Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am a acer aspire 4738 user from last 2.5 years. Now i have faced a problem and that is my fan is not working and i have washed my laptop properly by compressed air and i does not have any effect on my fan and my laptop is shuts off after 15-30 munites. Please help me and suggest me what can i do. is there any power proble or power faulty in the motherboard? If it is how can i solve it.

Thanks,

Nazmul Alam.

• grenada_cat
    grenada_cat Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

The laptop is shutting down because the processor is overheating, because of the fan not working.  If you can access the fan you can test if it turns freely or feels stiff.  If the blades do not turn freely it definately needs replacing, and if it is not working at all it will also need replacing.  They are not expensive items to replace and it should not be a very expensive fix if you need to take it to a reapir shop.

• mark121268
    mark121268 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Rotating mechanical devices have always been a failure point for all computers (why data centers have conditioned and cleaned air under positive pressure). Lifespans are quite short if the local area is dirty, sandy, or near people who smoke.

This is why the new breed of tablets are all somewhat sealed and ventless. No fan to fail and particles are not circulating inside.

I use MERV-13 air filters (highest a conventional air handler is designed for & not cheap) but still have to periodically dust things. What you find at Home Depot or Lowes are usually 8 or less.

This discussion has been closed.