AlaunchX.exe causes freezing - Acer Aspire AOA150 Windows XP Home

Zel
Zel Member Posts: 3 New User

Installed just purchased System Recovery Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire One on a brand new HD…a thing called AlaunchX is auto staring and freezes at 15/25 installation (Installing Screen Saver). Have to force shut down by the power button. After the restart the same story repeats.I can run the comp only in the Safe Mode. Any suggestions that may help? I am thinking of re-purchasing another Recovery OS set of discs from someone elce, but how do I know it won't be as faulty as this one? 
Thankful for any helpful opinions/advices in advance.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Zel!

AlaunchX.exe installs applications & drivers on your system.

If AlaunchX.exe is freezing on installation 15 of 25, when you force shut down, start up again in safe mode. Press Windows key & R - this will bring up the RUN box.

Type in MSCONFIG, then click the Startup tab. Uncheck the box that will be there that says AlaunchX, click Apply, then Close. Click Restart, and let your computer restart in normal mode. This will stop the program from starting on boot.

Of course, you will find that some drivers or applications have not installed (16-25). Go to the Acer support site and download them from there - except the screen saver!

• Zel

Hi Finlux,

I thank you so very much for taking your time and being so nice trying to help me solve my problem.

I followed your instructions and made it work as you suggested it would. Thank you. 

However, after that I left my laptop running unattended and it has shut itself down (or went hybernating) due to inactivity... Next morning (today), I pressed the power button to turn it back on and after a couple of minutes it came up with the blue screen 'beginning to dump physical memory'...after that gave me the window with "the system has recovered from a serious error" (LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2154.dir00\Mini111813-01.dmp) and (Temp\WER2154.dir00\sysdata.xml).

And also...tried to speed up the Hybernate mode setting at 10 minutes...after waiting ten minutes got the message in the window "Windows - System Error" ...The I/O device reported an I/O error.

Do you think these errors could be caused by incomplete installation of the drivers? (installed 14 of 25) or I may have some other parts on my laptop malfunctioning? As I mentioned before...just in case, I replaced my old HD with the brand new WD one that is AOA150 fully compatible.

I'd be happy to read some thoughts of yours (and anyone else's, of course) here on this when you can afford some time.

Very best regards. Zel

• finlux
    Hi Zel

It is entirely possible that stopping the AlaunchX program caused some drivers to not load, check the Device Manager to make sure. Any yellow exclamations mean drivers are not installed and will need to be installed from the Acer support site.

It's also entirely possible that the only things that DIDN'T install were application, or even a fault that lies elsewhere.

If it BSOD's again, make note of the error codes that start with "Stop: 0x......." this will enable us to see what is possibly causing the Blue Screen
  • Zel

Much appreciated Finlux.

Just spoke to the company I ordered the System Recovery set from...explained what is going on and the lady said she'll be happy to ship another set of discs to me. She said they have been shipping the same thing to many other customers and that I was to first to report a problem with the software installation. Therefore, the corrupt software I received should be an isolated case and the other set should hopefully work without problems and install smoothly.

So, will wait now several days for new dscs to arrive, use them and let you know how it went.

Again, much obliged for your efforts trying to help me. I will do my best to pass it onto others in need when a chance. 

Very best wishes. Zel

• finlux
    Cheers Zel, I shall look forward to your next reply!

This discussion has been closed.