Acer System recovery CDs not working

Options
Netrunner
Netrunner Member Posts: 3 New User

I have just received the Acer recovery CDs for my Acer laptop. The original was formatted, both C: and D: partitions to fix errors and viruses on Windows 7. As per the instructions, I insert the System disk, select the language when prompted, and then get the following message: "Please complete operating system setup process before doing system recovery". Well, that's nice...if I then insert the Recovery disks and reboot, it tells me that the boot manager is not present.... So, can anyone tell me how to re-install everything on this laptop as I am about to throw it out to the curb?

Thanks

Answers

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew
    Options

It sounds like there are remnant of the old operating system still on the drive.  We would suggest formatting the entire drive then performing the restore with the CDs again.

• Netrunner
    Netrunner Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks. I had already reformatted using a Windows 7 disc. Your recovery discs did not seem to offer the option to reformat...maybe you should include this utility if it is not included. 

After downloading a free formatting utility from the web, I deleted the remaining hidden partition a nd reformatted and was then able to launch the recovery utility and complete the restore process. 

Now please tell me why you need special recovery CDs to re-install Windows 7??? Seems like a simple Windows 7 CD/DVD which should have all of the drivers for the hardware you are using be a better idea? 

Thanks.

• MAMAYA
    MAMAYA Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I need to get to system recovery options but I need a password for HomeGroupUser$ or User, which I dont have either. I also do not have the disk. What can I do?
  • ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    If you ordered them from Acer they give you a timeframe to replace them if they don't work. I think it's 14 days. So I would suggest calling Acer and having them send you another set. Assuming you didn't buy them from Acer, that would be the next step.
  • daperlman
    daperlman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

So we had an acer with hybrid drives with HDD and hardware issues to return to acer to fix and I had similar issues. I started to restore and discs were corrupt.

Thankfully we had another one of the same model (to make NEW recovery discs). However I got this same error when trying to restore (i.e. please complete windows installation etc).

Had to finally format the HDD to get the valid recovery discs to work. This opens another can of worms about the ability to successfully back up or recover user data - but in our case we didn't care about this.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Netrunner, that was a good, informative post. I have seen other people with problems re-installing the original OS, and your idea to use a free reformatting system from the web is a new one. I only recommend Netrunner's solution WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS FIRST, but it's a new one to add to my bag of tricks.

This discussion has been closed.