Acer Predator 21x - Installing M.2 NVMe SSD - Does not recognize drive in Windows, nor in BIOS

HPPARK
HPPARK Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
On my Acer Predator 21x laptop, (Predator GX21-71), I recently installed an M.2 NVMe SSD 1tb from Samsung. (970 EVO) While the drive fit in the slot perfectly, when booting the PC, the drive was nowhere to be detected- both in Windows and the BIOS. (Image below)

While I had suspicions if this was due to the slots strictly being built for SATA only and not NVMe drives, according to many sources, the laptop was already equipped with NVMe M.2 SSDs installed already. When finding the pre-installed drive models online, they were M.2 NVMe drives. (example image below)

In this case, I am very confused how I should have the SSD appear and be rendered usable. I tried to install all the specific product related drivers and softwares. Those softwares do nothing or others require the device to be detected to be installed. 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried connecting the SSD to the other M.2 port? I wouldn't advice removing any of the other 2 SSDs to try the other 2 ports before backing up your data, because they are in RAID 0 and this can potentially break the RAID 0 array, causing you to lose all the data on the drives.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• This model supports ssd nvme in both slots according to the service manual. Have you tried disconnecting the hd to see if it recognizes ssd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried connecting the SSD to the other M.2 port? I wouldn't advice removing any of the other 2 SSDs to try the other 2 ports before backing up your data, because they are in RAID 0 and this can potentially break the RAID 0 array, causing you to lose all the data on the drives.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Hi,
    I think these two slots are M.2 SATA and NVMe is not compatible, NVMe slots are backward compatible but you can not use a NVMe SSD in a SATA slot.

• ven98
    You can use NVMe on SATA, but sometimes it won't work, either because the MB doesn't support it or the drive itself, but because the port is M key I don't see a reason why NVMe wouldn't work even if the port is SATA.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    For what i had seen in previous issues with other models when the ports are m.2 sata only nvme drives will not get recognized at all so i support what @brummyfan2 stated above

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/