Why won't my computer boot from a CD or flash drive?
Bootable media created in previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. This occurs if the Boot Mode setting in the BIOS is UEFI. You can change the Boot Mode setting to Legacy BIOS, and it should recognize the bootable device.
Use the following steps to change the Boot Mode
NOTE: You will need to set your BIOS back to UEFI mode before booting normally to Windows.
- Completely shut down your computer.
- Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS
- Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
- Press the Enter key, then use the down arrow to select Legacy BIOS.
- Press Enter
- Press F10, then select Yes to save the change and exit the BIOS.