You can force-quit programs in Windows 11 to terminate applications that are not responding or cannot be closed conventionally. This situation may occur due to various reasons, such as programs freezing or being obscured. There are two reliable and uncomplicated methods that you can use to terminate these applications. Use the instructions below to force close any application in Windows 11.
How to force quit an application in Windows 11
- Click on the application that is not responding.
- Press the Alt+F4 keys at the same time to immediately shut down the non-responsive application.
- If nothing happens, press the key combination Alt + F4 again. Be careful of pressing it too many times to avoid shutting down other programs you want to keep open.
How to end task using Task Manager in Windows 11
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys at the same time, or type task manager into the Windows search box to open the Task Manager.
- Click on the Yes button when task manager launches to allow the app to make changes.
- Click on the Processes tab if it is not already selected.
- Right-click the program you want to close and select End task.