Cortana is the name of the Windows 11 Voice Assistant. You can use it for many functions such as internet search commands, internal search, and troubleshooting. Cortana is less intrusive in Windows 11 than in the past, and is no longer part of the first boot experience.
You may still want to disable Cortana or uninstall it completely if you do not want to use this feature. Read below to learn how to disable or uninstall Windows 11 Cortana.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 11 settings
- Click on Start ⊞ and select Settings ⚙.
- Click on Apps and select Apps & features.
- Type Cortana in the app list search box.
- In the Cortana app listing, click on the Menu icon and select Advanced options.
- At the Runs at log-in section, switch the Cortana toggle button to Off.
How to uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
You can completely remove Cortana if you want to uninstall the application instead of just disabling it. This requires a couple more steps and knowledge of Windows Powershell. You can use the instructions below to completely uninstall Cortana from your system.
- Press the Windows key and type Powershell in the search bar.
- Click on Open as administrator.
- In the Powershell window, paste Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter.