Network Based Recovery is a recovery method for Chrome devices that can be used without using a USB stick or SD card. The recovery procedure can be started directly from the Chrome device as long as the device is able to connect to the internet.
Network based recovery is not available for all Chromebooks and is currently only supported on the following Acer models.
- Acer Chromebook Spin 714 -- CP714-1WN
- Acer Chromebook Enterprise Spin 714 -- CP714-1WN
- Acer Chromebook Spin 514 -- CP514-3H, CP514-3HH, CP514-3WH
How to Start Chromebook Network Based Recovery
- Press the ESC + Refresh + Power button at the same time to enter recovery mode.
- Select the option Recover using internet connection. If this option is not there, network based recovery is not supported on this model and you will need to create USB recovery media.
- Choose your wireless network and enter your wireless network password.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the network recovery. This will take around 10 minutes and the download in the background is about 3 or 4GB. Once recovery is finished, the device will boot to the Welcome screen.
You can find additional information on Chromebook recovery in the Google support article "Recover your Chromebook."