Although Windows 11 offers default apps for most functions, you may want to use a different app that is more familiar to you or one that can perform specific functions that the default apps cannot. If you have multiple apps that do the same thing, Windows will open the default app for that function unless you manually change the default app. This article will show you how to change default apps in Windows 11.
How to change the default app via Windows Settings
- Click on Start ⊞ and select Settings ⚙, or use Windows + I to quickly open Settings.
- Click on Apps, then select Default Apps.
- Scroll down to find the app or file extension you want to change. You can also enter the app or file type you wish to change the search box under set defaults as applications.
- Under Set default file types or link types, select the app or file you wish to use by clicking on the icon in the top right corner and choosing your preferred app. If the menu does not show any apps click on Look for an app in the Microsoft Store and click OK.
- At the prompt, select Switch Anyway.
How to change the default app via File Explorer
- Press Windows ⊞ + E to open file explorer.
- Right-click on a file you wish to change the default app for, then select Open With and select Choose Another App.
- Pick your preferred program from the list, or select More Apps to access other programs.
- Check the box that says Always use this app to open [EXTENSION_TYPE] files.