You can use Nearby Share to send and receive photos, files, documents, links to websites to your phone or computer. Nearby share uses WiFi or Bluetooth so your sending and receiving devices need to be within range with the Nearby Share app open. Also, make sure you have installed the latest software updates for your devices to ensure the smoothest sharing experience.
How to turn on nearby share for PC
- Click on Start ⊞ and select Settings ⚙, or use Windows + I to quickly open Settings.
- Select System, then click on Nearby sharing.
- Choose the devices you want to use to receive and share files. If you select Everyone, the Bluetooth MAC address and name of your PC become visible to all devices around you.
- To change where you store files, under Save files I receive to, click on Change, choose a new location and click on Select folder.
Once you have turned on nearby share on your computer, you can choose which types of files you want to share using the steps below.
How to share docs using Nearby Share
- Click on Search and type file explorer in the text box and find the document you want to share.
- Open File Explorer and select Share from the toolbar at the top.
- Right-click on the document you want to share, then select the name of the device you want to share with.
- Open the device you are sharing with and select Save & open or Save when the notification with the document appears.
How to share pictures using Nearby Share
- Open the Photos App on the PC you want to share from.
- Find the photo you want to share and click on More ⋯ in the toolbar.
- From the dropdown list, click on Share and select the name of the device you want to share with.
- Open the device you are sharing with and select Save & open or Save when the notification with the photo appears.
How to share websites using Nearby Share
- Open Microsoft Edge and then navigate to the webpage you want to share.
- Select Settings and more > Share and then find the name of the device you want to share with.
- Open the device you are sharing with and select Open when the notification with the link appears.