Boot Mode cannot be toggled acer Aspire 5 A515-54

jeron
jeron Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi newbie here I have acer Aspire 5 A515-54-51DI .BIOS Version InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 5.0 currently updated it to ZAW_121.exe. The thing is I already update it but when I go to boot part in BIOS the Boot Mode cannot be toggled to UEFI or LEGACY , its like greyed out or something .I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro . My Current set up is on Microsoft Windows 10 Home  and my System Partition is on Disk 0 is on GUID Partition Table (GPT).

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    These are fairly common issues when switching from ACER WinHome version. If you can get online with wired ethernet to the router, download, install & run iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it will pick up any wifi & touchpad drivers that are better suited the the WinPro environment. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Stay in UEFI mode with GPT disk0. Enable F12 boot option in BIOS Main tab. Then insert USB WinPro installation stick. Turn machine on and press F12 to bring up menu to boot from the WinPro installation USB  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    JackE said:
    Stay in UEFI mode with GPT disk0. Enable F12 boot option in BIOS Main tab. Then insert USB WinPro installation stick. Turn machine on and press F12 to bring up menu to boot from the WinPro installation USB  Jack E/NJ
    Hi jack I think I know what's the problem my windows bootable device (Windows 10 Pro )its in a format of MBR. Maybe I need to change this to GPT. 
  • JackE
    How did you prepare the WinPro installation device? If a USB stick, use Rufus to prepare the WinPro installation iso file also for UEFI bootstrap laptop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    JackE said:
    How did you prepare the WinPro installation device? If a USB stick, use Rufus to prepare the WinPro installation iso file also for UEFI bootstrap laptop. Jack E/NJ
    I did use rufus , please see attach file for reference 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    partition system GPT and target system UEFI non-cms (not uefi-csm which is basically legacy emulation)
  • jeron
    Gawain said:
    partition system GPT and target system UEFI non-cms (not uefi-csm which is basically legacy emulation)
    So basically I need to change it to GPT ? like this 

• jeron
    Hi Guys so I changed it in Rufus settings of my bootable device by GPT a new problem occured this is my current set up in Rufus (Rufus Example 2 PNG.) it detect the Bootable Device. But a new error occured .See attached photo for reference.It cannot detect my main disk drive it can only detect the Disk 0 (bootable device) in cmd.

• JackE
    Your HDD or SSD is not detected. Please F2 into the BIOS menu and take a phone photo of the BIOS INFORMATION tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    This BIOS version should not be in optane SATA mode. What problem were you trying to solve by installing BIOS v1.21? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    JackE said:
    This BIOS version should not be in optane SATA mode. What problem were you trying to solve by installing BIOS v1.21? Jack E/NJ
    I was trying to solve the problem before , the Boot Mode (UEFI /LEGACY) doesn't show up in the Boot tab before the update of BIOS v1.21
  • jeron
    jeron said:
    JackE said:
    I was trying to solve the problem before , the Boot Mode (UEFI /LEGACY) doesn't show up in the Boot tab before the update of BIOS v1.21
    This was my first topic here in the community.
     https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/634172/boot-mode-uefi-legacy-not-showing-up-aspire-5-a515-54-51di#latest
  • JackE
    The legacy BIOS overlay option is being phased out on most new laptops. Does your laptop still boot WinHome right now without changing anything in the BIOS? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    JackE said:
    The legacy BIOS overlay option is being phased out on most new laptops. Does your laptop still boot WinHome right now without changing anything in the BIOS? Jack E/NJ
    Yes it is set currently to Windows 10 Home even without changes in BIOS.
  • JackE
    Press Win+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Please post screenshot of result. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    Here you go.
  • jeron
    jeron said:

Here you go.

Here you go

• JackE
    Go to search in the Windows start menu. Enter optane. An Intel optane memory application should appear near the top of the menu. Depending on which Intel optane app you have installed, follow directions in this link to disable optane memory from your SSD. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeron
    Hi my current laptop doesn't have a optane app.Do i have to download this?
  • jeron
    I tried to download it it gave this error. 

• JackE
    edited March 2021
    Go back to the BIOS menu Advanced tab. Is there an option to change SATA mode to AHCI? If not, press Ctrl+S to see if a hidden option appears. Also check Main tab for SATA mode option. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ