Loving my Aspire 5 A514-54 but already crashed twice!

AuroraSky
AuroraSky Member Posts: 4 New User
My new Aspire 5 A514-54 arrived yesterday so naturally I was trying it out. I really loved the bright sharp screen and don't have any fancy requirements so the spec is fine for me. However, one yesterday and once today, it's totally crashed while making a steady crackling noise. The first time I was watching the Barcelona game on BT Sport and the screen froze. The second time it was just a black screen. Both times I had to hold down the power button a few seconds for the noise to stop then when I restarted it was fine again. Anyone got ideas on what it could be or what I should do next? I'm very happy with the laptop  but this is a disappointment as my old Dell Latitude would go months on end without ever having the "blue screen of death" and here mine has had something similar twice in it's first two days. I haven't installed any exotic software on it just standard Spotify, Open Office, Bitdefender etc. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,651 Pathfinder
    @AuroraSky
    Since its a new laptop try to do a reset  and check.
    check the link below to do reset
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • AuroraSky
    Hi I did the Windows reset and it worked for two days but then crashed again today, same sort of buzzing sound while I held down the power key for 10 seconds until it switched off. Is there anything else I could try? It seems to happen once a day so I guess if it was returned to Acer they might not spot the fault in a short test? I don't even know if it's a hardware issue or software but I haven't got the laptop to work steadily for more than a couple of days since brand new (still just a couple of weeks old). It's a real shame as I absolutely love the bright clear screen for video which was the main reason I bought it. What should I do next?
  • macdimm
    macdimm Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I have no experience, but if you can record a video that records the sounds really good and put on YT perhaps someone can narrow down the source by how it sounds (like whether is a fan, with a bad bushing or a wire/plastic bit in it, or a harddrive bushing failing, or sounds from the speakers). Should be under warrantee too so follow up with ACER. (If you find out what it was, please come back and tell us!)
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    AuroraSky said:
    Hi I did the Windows reset and it worked for two days but then crashed again today, same sort of buzzing sound while I held down the power key for 10 seconds until it switched off. Is there anything else I could try? It seems to happen once a day so I guess if it was returned to Acer they might not spot the fault in a short test? I don't even know if it's a hardware issue or software but I haven't got the laptop to work steadily for more than a couple of days since brand new (still just a couple of weeks old). It's a real shame as I absolutely love the bright clear screen for video which was the main reason I bought it. What should I do next?

If its still doing the same after a full reset then it can be faulty hardware. contact acer and they will help you for service options. 
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • The_Sarj
    The_Sarj Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I have the same thing happening to mine. I bought it yesterday and it has crashed numerous time with a black screen then today it crashed and I had the loud crackling noise. I filmed it and I will try to upload it here. Thanks
  • George-Acer_Retired
    George-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 64 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi The_Sarj,

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 

Regards,
    Acer-George
  • AuroraSky
    Hi folks and thanks to those who answered. I did try multiple resets but the daily crashes with a crackling or buzzing sound kept happening. Eventually I contacted Curry's who my warranty was with and after a few questions they said just to return it, the courier picked it up this morning. The return was after 2 weeks but under 1 month so I'm not sure if they are replacing or refunding, either option would be OK as I don't have demanding spec requirements it's mainly a good IPS screen I wanted. 
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    AuroraSky said:
    Hi folks and thanks to those who answered. I did try multiple resets but the daily crashes with a crackling or buzzing sound kept happening. Eventually I contacted Curry's who my warranty was with and after a few questions they said just to return it, the courier picked it up this morning. The return was after 2 weeks but under 1 month so I'm not sure if they are replacing or refunding, either option would be OK as I don't have demanding spec requirements it's mainly a good IPS screen I wanted. 

If its still doing the same after a full reset then it can be faulty hardware. contact acer and they will help you for service options. 
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Naksh
    Naksh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I'm having the same issue, how should I proceed? I bought mine on 9th and have already reset once and the issue still comes up while watching any kind of video (it's not frequent, happens twice a day but almost the same as you described)
  • AuroraSky
    Report the fault to the retailer and send it back for a refund or replacement, I'm pretty sure it's a hardware fault otherwise I'd be hearing about it on lots of other Windows 10 laptops from other manufacturers. Some retailers have no questions asks returns up to a couple a weeks after you receive the item, and others will refund if a fault up to 30 days after receipt of the item, so I wouldn't hang around trying to look for different solutions I'd just report the fault and return quickly.
  • BiswajitS
    BiswajitS Member Posts: 1 New User

I had same problem with my new Acer Aspire A514-54 laptop, I had just uninstalled the Norton Antivirus which was pre-install on the laptop. Then updated the Window 10 with all the updates available via Update and security . Now its working perfectly without any of the issue like auto restart  or sudden blank screen or Window death screen with sound etc.

Thanks,

Biswajit 

• ctx1769
    ctx1769 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    This sounds like a batch failure on the production line. 
  • varma_98
    varma_98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm facing the same issue. The laptop screen turns black and it switches on suddenly. I did a reset and everything but it didn't work out. I tried to get it returned to the retailer but they didn't accept it. I was wondering if everyone is facing similar issues, could it be a defect in this specific model?
  • ricktheghost
    ricktheghost Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2021
    Hello buyers of Aspire A514-54, I have been facing the same issue with my laptop. From what I gathered, it's an issue with the Iris graphics driver. The issue occurs if we watch prolonged videos, might be on a player or Netflix. It might occur even while browsing or connecting to a BT headset, as well. If you guys can remember, the initial BIOS was 1.08, which promised to solve Screen flicker and add provide BT headset support. Well, that didn't work.

So Acer has generated another BIOS update, 1.10 to curb the error, but this didn't work either. These drivers and BIOS mismatch, whensoever a new gen-graphics driver is brought onto the market. So if we, the buyers can wait out for Acer to generate a better BIOS driver that interacts well with the Graphics driver, the issue will be solved.

Now, alls dependent on Acer to get their job done and resolve this bothersome error that has been making our lives tragic af.
  • PRAYASHPAUDEL41
    PRAYASHPAUDEL41 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello people, did we get any solution for this issue? I got my new laptop 3 days ago and i have already started facing same issue.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi PRAYASHPAUDEL41,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• srinivas546
    srinivas546 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same issue, its not the software, resetting anything wont help. this laptop has bad batch of motherboards, google for more info
  • NH1971
    NH1971 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just bumping this thread to see if anybody has a fix. Have same problem that seems to happen with MS Teams (mainly when high number of people on the meeting) and Netflix for example. Laptop is really unusable as it is! 

Just goes back and get the buzzing noise as others say. Have to do a hard reboot.

Graphics card crashing makes sense. 

Come on Acer - any ideas?