R3-131T-C1YF not factory resetting

Reese
Reese Member Posts: 4 New User
I tried to factory reset my laptop, but mid way through, it said there was a problem and stopped. When i tried to turn it back on it went to the acer logo and then to a black screen and then continued that loop. Anyone know what to do? ( also if need the model number is N15W5 )

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Likely the OS had been upgraded beyond Windows 8.1 and that upgrade mucked with the factory image. You can try to repair it using a Windows install flash drive or just reinstall from scratch. It kind of depends on whether you have data on there that you need to pull off, and since you were trying a reset I think that unlikely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Likely the OS had been upgraded beyond Windows 8.1 and that upgrade mucked with the factory image. You can try to repair it using a Windows install flash drive or just reinstall from scratch. It kind of depends on whether you have data on there that you need to pull off, and since you were trying a reset I think that unlikely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Reese
    Reese Member Posts: 4 New User
    Im sorry but don’t really know what a windows install flash drive is. Also I don’t know how to reinstall it from scratch. 
  • billsey
    OK, you can create an install drive by using a USB flash drive and a download from Microsoft of the OS. Your flash drive needs to be 8GB or larger. The Aspire R3-131T originally came with Windows 8.1 64bit so should be just fine with Windows 10 64bit. You will likely need to make a couple of changes in the BIOS to allow booting from the USB flash drive. Make sure the F12 boot menu is enabled (I think that's on the Main tab), the Boot Mode is set to UEFI (Boot tab) and Secure Boot is disabled (also in the Boot tab). With the flash drive inserted in a USB port, reboot the machine and hit the F12 key a bunch of times when it first starts to turn back on. From the boot menu you should be able to choose the USB drive as the boot device and that will automatically start the install. When prompted by the installer choose Custom, Install Windows Only which will remove all your old stuff. When asked about where the install it, first use the delete option to remove any partitions that exist on the hard drive, then select the unallocated space (it should be the whole drive) as the target for the install. The installer will then create any needed partitions and go through the process. When it's done (some time later, it might be an hour or so) it will ask you to login using your Microsoft account and be all setup with just Windows. If you don't connect to the internet before the login it will set you up with just a local account on the machine instead of using the Microsoft account.