Is it possible to install LInux on Travelmate TM8473T ?

DavideD
DavideD Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Has anyone managed (really!) to install any Linux distribution on a TM8473T? I have tried with recent Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint versions but the laptop freezes while booting from the USB stick. I have also tried t modify the "grub" file (nomodeset) but still the laptop does not boot. Please note that I am quite new with Linux... thanks for your help!

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Should be but may need some tweaks. I'd go with Ubuntu first then branch out if we can get it working. It may be a long one! 

First a couple of questions around what you are doing to better understand what you are looking at if that's ok :) 

Could I confirm which version of Ubuntu, and how you made the USB stick? 

When you say freezes , is there anything on the display, how far does it get, and is there any text?

Are you looking to dual boot, or just Nix? (Dual booting may cause issues)

And finally, what are the current bios settings for the disk mode / sata mode, and does the laptop have secure boot?

If any of that doesn't make sense don't worry about it , just mention and I will go through any of it :) 

• DavideD

Tinkerer

Hi! I have tried Mint 20.1 Cinnamom and xfce, Ubuntu 20.04 and Lubuntu 16.04. Starting in "compatibility mode" I see a lot of text and the freeze comes after mentioning something like "inserted autofs4".
    I would like to boot from USB in the first place to see how things work. Eventually I´d like to replace Windows 7. About BIOS I´m not sure...
    Now I´m thinking about ArchLinux or Zorin Lite.
  • DavideD

Tinkerer

And the USB stick was made with Rufus
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    maybe try it with something non-ubuntu derived,just to see.  MX linux with kde or xfce for a debian based OS without the intermediary ubuntu step, or Manjaro for something arch based.  
  • Leostat
    edited January 2021
    Avoid Arch like the plauge unless you want to be frustrated! Its not very user freindly at all. Is it possible to get a good picture of the screen when it freezes? It may give me some hints :), when booting tap esc as well straight away to get the full text debug of the boot process

When you made the USB stick, was it just the defults you used? If so, try adding the add fixes for old bios's part GPT non CSM
  • DavideD

Tinkerer

This is what I get now with Zorin Lite "safe graphics"

• Leostat
    Same with ubuntu with the usual things set in grub?

nomodeset
    acpi=0

If its the same, try booting into single user mode with no Gui see if that works as a troublehooting step, enter grub, after the "ro quiet splash" add single to make it "ro quiet splash single" 

When it boots you will just have a console (hopefully) where you can type startx to get a gui 
  • DavideD

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    maybe try it with something non-ubuntu derived,just to see.  MX linux with kde or xfce for a debian based OS without the intermediary ubuntu step, or Manjaro for something arch based.  

I am in MX Linux now. It works, cool! If onlz I could set mz kezboard to German lazout...
    Thanks a lot... I will also investigate Ubuntu
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021
    DavideD said:
    Gawain said:

I am in MX Linux now. It works, cool! If onlz I could set mz kezboard to German lazout...
    good to here.  to set keyb (for kde), press alt and spacebar together, then just type "keyboard" and you'll get one saying "keyboard layout" to select.   With the other ones you tried (zorin etc), as they are all ultimately ubuntu bvased, i'm guessing they're using very similar kernels so have the same issue on your hardware - either way, welcome to linux, mx is lighter in resource use than ubuntu and personally i find it a lot more "complete" from the get go for admin tools when needed (there's a whole section called "MX Tools for backuips, snapshots, custom live usb creation etc).  BEFORE installing any linux version, it is a good idea to make sure everything is working, particularly wi-fi/network, as its a lot easier to troubleshoot such issues from a live boot than after installation without internet access.
  • DavideD

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    DavideD said:
    Gawain said:

good to here.  to set keyb (for kde), press alt and spacebar together, then just type "keyboard" and you'll get one saying "keyboard layout" to select.   With the other ones you tried (zorin etc), as they are all ultimately ubuntu bvased, i'm guessing they're using very similar kernels so have the same issue on your hardware - either way, welcome to linux, mx is lighter in resource use than ubuntu and personally i find it a lot more "complete" from the get go for admin tools when needed (there's a whole section called "MX Tools for backuips, snapshots, custom live usb creation etc).  BEFORE installing any linux version, it is a good idea to make sure everything is working, particularly wi-fi/network, as its a loboard layout in the t easier to troubleshoot such issues from a live boot than after installation without internet access.

I have xfce. Changing the keyboard layout in the configuration tool did not work out... but I am only on a live USB