Storage Upgrade Options for Nitro 5 AN517-51-784H?

Options
bv6
bv6 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm thinking about buying the AN517-51-784H (from Walmart, which seems to be the only seller), but I wanted to know about the storage options. I'd want to add a second drive if I buy, so I want to make sure I know the right one to get. I've searched around a lot, but I can't find a definitive answer.

The two main things I want to know are:
1) How many M.2 and 2.5" slots does it have? (My guess based on my research is 2 and 1, but I want to confirm.)
2) What is the NVMe/SATA compability of the M.2 slot(s)? (I'm basically looking for something like this, but for this model https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61577/~/what-type-of-m.2-drives-are-supported-on-the-nitro-5 )

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    1.You have 2 M.2 SSD slots, one is for NVMe SSD and the other is for NVMe/SATA drives, one 2.5" HDD bay.
    2.One slot for NVMe SSD, the other for NVMe/SATA SSD.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/575080/acer-nitro-an517-51-56yw-m-2-compatiblity

• bv6
    bv6 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thank you! I saw that thread, but wasn't sure if the answer was the same, since the model is slightly different. That picture is also helpful!

One follow-up question: Do you know which slot is filled with the default storage drive that comes with the computer?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
  • Ormonddude
    Ormonddude Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I beat my head against this for a week and am now going the SATA route the Original Drive is a SATA and there's no way to intitilize the NVMe so trust me the can of worms just gets worse and worse I tried everything made a back up thrumb drive swapped sticks and the BIOS is just awful doesn't really let you change anything I finally gave up and sent the M.2 back to crucial who had amazing support but a compatability issues beyond repair - Now there is a Video of a guy that uses software and a external adapter to format the PCIE before he drops it in and that would likely work but expensive PITA so I am trying the Alternative of a 2,5" SSD Sata you cannot change the boot order and it boots to SATA at least mine does so you're left with a slot that cannot be easily initilized - I hope this helps anyone who went down this rabbit hole - Crucial has a lot of negative feedback and I am sure at least some is from issues similar to this.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    I beat my head against this for a week and am now going the SATA route the Original Drive is a SATA and there's no way to intitilize the NVMe so trust me the can of worms just gets worse and worse I tried everything made a back up thrumb drive swapped sticks and the BIOS is just awful doesn't really let you change anything I finally gave up and sent the M.2 back to crucial who had amazing support but a compatability issues beyond repair - Now there is a Video of a guy that uses software and a external adapter to format the PCIE before he drops it in and that would likely work but expensive PITA so I am trying the Alternative of a 2,5" SSD Sata you cannot change the boot order and it boots to SATA at least mine does so you're left with a slot that cannot be easily initilized - I hope this helps anyone who went down this rabbit hole - Crucial has a lot of negative feedback and I am sure at least some is from issues similar to this.
    This is one of the best laptops in my opinion, it was unfortunate that you couldn't install a M.2 NVMe SSD, did you ask for help when you had difficulty with the SSD in the forum? unlike you I think many users are using M.2 NVMe SSDs in this model.
    UserBenchmark: Acer Nitro AN517-51 Compatible Components

This discussion has been closed.