How do I increase the performance of my video card/GPU? A514-52-396B

Kevinne
Kevinne Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I would like to ask on how to increase the performance. Just the video card performance.

My unit: A514-52-396B

Video card: Intel UHD Graphics

Thank you in advance!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    The GPU is integrated with the CPU. A fixed percentage of DDR4 RAM is shared for its VRAM, usually between 10-20% but unadjustable. You can modestly increase GPU performance by adding more DDR4 RAM.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinne
    JackE said:
    The GPU is integrated with the CPU. A fixed percentage of DDR4 RAM is shared for its VRAM, usually between 10-20% but unadjustable. You can modestly increase GPU performance by adding more DDR4 RAM.   Jack E/NJ
    I do plan to add more RAM to my unit in the future but supplies in my place are quite scarce. From what you said above, the performance of the GPU is dependent on the total RAM? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you!
  • JackE
    Yes, the GPU uses a fixed percentage(10-20%) of total installed RAM that is shared as V(ideo)RAM. GPU performance should increase with more RAM but may still be insufficient for some heavy gaming or imaging applications which often require dedicated 2-4GB VRAM. Your model is not classified as a gaming laptop.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevinne
    JackE said:
    Yes, the GPU uses a fixed percentage(10-20%) of total installed RAM that is shared as V(ideo)RAM. GPU performance should increase with more RAM but may still be insufficient for some heavy gaming or imaging applications which often require dedicated 2-4GB VRAM. Your model is not classified as a gaming laptop.  Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for this! I know that my unit is not classified as a gaming laptop but I just want to increase the performance of the said unit. Are there any other ways to increase the GPU except from what you've said?

Thanks!
  • JackE
    Possibly by using an external GPU. However, this is a fairly clumsy and expensive solution for a laptop since it requires using the wifi-BT card m.2 socket and running cables to the eGPU outside the case. The RAM increase is most practical. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ