Is it possible to have two OSes on two diffrent SSDs in Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)?

Options
ajax97
ajax97 Member Posts: 63 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
I want to install Linux on my predator machine without removing Windows 10. As there is an additional SSD slot available in the system, is it possible to hook up a new SSD and install Linux on it? And select OS to boot from the Boot Menu every time?

Answers

• fox945
    fox945 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I don't know enough about your hardware to say if it can truly support an additional SSD or not but either way you can install Linux either by creating a separate partition on the existing harddrive or on a completely separate SSD.  Most Linux installations will/should automatically see the other OS when installing and during boot up you will see the GRUB menu (bootloader screen) and be able to choose either your linux or windows install.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    ajax97 said:
    I want to install Linux on my predator machine without removing Windows 10. As there is an additional SSD slot available in the system, is it possible to hook up a new SSD and install Linux on it? And select OS to boot from the Boot Menu every time?

Yes, I have on my Nitro 5 Linux on the one M2 SSD and Win on the second M2 SSD, and 1TB HDD used as a shared storage

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Simo998
    Simo998 Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    batmalin said:
    ajax97 said:

Yes, I have on my Nitro 5 Linux on the one M2 SSD and Win on the second M2 SSD, and 1TB HDD used as a shared storage

@batmalin great to know this . I happen to have just bought a new Acer Nitro 5 , AN5-15-55 and was planning to do exactly same thing ie keep windows on my 250gb nvme, install ubuntu 20.04 on second 512gb nvme and keep my sata 1tb ssd for storage. 

I have set bios sata to AHCI mode already. Fast boot off and secure boot off also, F12 enabled and I have tested Ubuntu live usb seems ok. 

Before I proceed to install, can I ask couple questions ;

-do you need to re-enable "secure boot" in bios right after Ubuntu installation, before first boot? (I read some users suggested this was necessary?). 

-do we have to set in bios "select uefi trusted file for executing" to shimx64.efi at the same time, before first boot of new ubuntu installation? ie is this necessary for dual boot in our case where we dual boot windows and ubuntu in two separate nvme drives? (I didnt have to do this with my old Asus same set up, but I saw a few Acer users saying this was necessary?)

- also did you have to set "nouveau.modeset=0 " in grub during live disk installation or no problems with display during installation Ubuntu?

Appreciate any tips you can give before I install would be great since you have successfully achieved it already. tia

Acer Nitro 5 AN5-15-55, 16Gb RAM, i7 10750H, GTX1650Ti , 2x nvme drives + 1tb SATA SDD, dual boot 2xdrives Ubuntu 20.10 and Windows 10
  • batmalin
    edited November 2020
    Options
    1. No, but you can do it as Ubuntu is certified for secure boot. I personally didn't.
    2. Not necessary to set up trusted file. Just set grub to be the first boot device in BIOS.
    3. I have AMD system, but only set this if after boot you get a black screen

• Simo998
    Options
    batmalin said:
    1. No, but you can do it as Ubuntu is certified for secure boot. I personally didn't.
    2. Not necessary to set up trusted file. Just set grub to be the first boot device in BIOS.
    3. I have AMD system, but only set this if after boot you get a black screen

Thanks alot @batmalin for responding so quickly.  Really appreciate. 
    I forget ask also ;
    -did you have to remove windows drive first then install Ubuntu in second drive then replace windows drive and boot into ubuntu and  update grub (I did this  'old way' my previous dual drive dual boot windoes ubuntu laptop) 
    or 
    -you just installed Ubuntu into second nvme drive directly? booted into Ubuntu and updated grub ( ie it is not necessary to remove any drive during the whole installation process am I right?). tia. 
     Acer Nitro 5 AN5-15-55, 16Gb RAM, i7 10750H, GTX1650Ti , 2x nvme drives + 1tb SATA SDD, dual boot 2xdrives Ubuntu 20.10 and Windows 10
  • batmalin
    Options
    No need to remove drives, GRUB will find win boot entry and will add it to the boot menu.

• Simo998
    Options
    batmalin said:
    No need to remove drives, GRUB will find win boot entry and will add it to the boot menu.
    Thanks , ok I will try it this weekend. Much appreciated. I am so keen to get Ubuntu up and running dual boot on my new Nitro 5 (AN5-15-55)..(fingers crossed 🤞)
  • batmalin
    Options
    Good luck mate!

• Simo998
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Good luck mate!
    @batmalin forgot ask, can you pls remind me if we are dual booting into two separate drives, windows on one nvne and ubuntu in another nvme  during installation do we still need select "install ubuntu along side windows" ? I know we do this if both OS on one disk, but I i have a second dedicated nvme drive for Ubuntu, so  do we still need select "install along side windows" since Ubuntu is taking up the whole of the second nvme drive? its not necessary right ? or still must click that?  Just double checking. tia. 

• batmalin
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Nope, just choose the second drive.

• ajax97
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @batmalin
    Wouldn't it affect the predatorsense related stuff like the factory undervolt, keyboard ligthing, fan speeds?
  • batmalin
    Options
    Nope, all of those are managed by EC.

• ajax97
    Options
    @batmalin
     Do I need to change sata from RST to AHCI?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @ajax97There was a user who managed to install linux, in rst with optane mode. However, I advise changing the sata mode to ahci in the bios. Before changing the sata mode in the bios, activate the windows safe boot, so that the blue screen does not occur.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ajax97
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    @batmalin

I have PH315-52 which came with 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD it has one more empty M.2 slot, and default SATA setting bios is RST Premium with Optane. 
    My question is that if I buy a new 256GB ssd and plug it in the empty M.2 slot, will it too be configured as RST? or I will be able to install ubuntu on this one completly without changing sata mode from RST to AHCI ? 
  • batmalin
    Options
    You better install the new ssd after you change to AHCI.

• ajax97
    Options
    So the AHCI conversion is a must for ubuntu I guess?
  • batmalin
    Options
    Yes 98% is a must but what is the worry? RST is Intel bloat/buggy solution  which brings more troubles than benefits. It does not make any sense to have RST with SSDs configurations anyway.

• ajax97
    Options
    But converting from RST to AHCI will require a reinstallation of windows as it doesn't boot. right?
  • batmalin
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Not if before that you set tne next win boot as safe mode and then change it to AHCI.
    So set it, reboot, go to BIOS, change to AHCI, save and exit and win will boot in safe mode and install the AHCI controller driver.