Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600-UR18 - CPU upgrade from i5-8400

Options
Frenzy4
Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has tried putting an i9-9900 (nonK) into their computer. I currently have a i5-8400 with a b360 motherboard. If I update the bios will it work? Thanks

Also, would a 3060 work good? I would change the Power supply of course.

Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope, you can't mix a 8th gen chipset and 9th gen processors. You can bump up to the highest 8th gen though, just pay attention to the power requirements, a higher power chip will need more cooling to dissipate the extra heat.
    Should be no problem with the new GPU, just do the PSU as you suggest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    billsey said:
    Nope, you can't mix a 8th gen chipset and 9th gen processors. You can bump up to the highest 8th gen though, just pay attention to the power requirements, a higher power chip will need more cooling to dissipate the extra heat.
    Should be no problem with the new GPU, just do the PSU as you suggest.

It looks like you are mistaken, according to someone on here who has done the upgrade themselves. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/868632/#Comment_868632

You just need a bios update according to him, which is what I figured with the jump to a 9th gen processor. I found that earlier after searching more, I specifically wanted to know if a i9-9900 would work though, but I think it might if a i7 works.