Few questions about Orion 3000-600 motherboard.

drpdrp
drpdrp Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I am going to buy the Predator Orion 3000-600 and I was wondering if the motherboard supports overclocked CPUs? If not that's fine but what CPU's can I upgrade to in a few years? Also it says the maximum memory speed is 2666 MHz. Will this be a problem later down the line if I want to upgrade RAM?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As with most motherboard/chipset combinations you are limited to the same generation of processor and the same memory speed. Your PO3-600 is the second version of them that Acer has done, with the 9th generation chipset instead of the earlier 8th gen. The earlier ones used 2400MHz memory and yours has 2666MHz. The next generation up is the 10th gen and Acer hasn't announced a new spin of that Predator line with 10th or 11th gen, so I image they'll do that next year instead. Within the 9th gen though there is some room for improvement. The i7-9700 is a 65W processor and the i9-9900 is also a 65W, so a drop in replacement and a decent improvement going from 8 threads to 16. In addition with enhanced cooling added you could likely step up to the 95W versions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• drpdrp
    drpdrp Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    BTW the specs are i7 9700 RTX 2060 super
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As with most motherboard/chipset combinations you are limited to the same generation of processor and the same memory speed. Your PO3-600 is the second version of them that Acer has done, with the 9th generation chipset instead of the earlier 8th gen. The earlier ones used 2400MHz memory and yours has 2666MHz. The next generation up is the 10th gen and Acer hasn't announced a new spin of that Predator line with 10th or 11th gen, so I image they'll do that next year instead. Within the 9th gen though there is some room for improvement. The i7-9700 is a 65W processor and the i9-9900 is also a 65W, so a drop in replacement and a decent improvement going from 8 threads to 16. In addition with enhanced cooling added you could likely step up to the 95W versions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.