Window 10 ver 1909 upgrade - No USB once completed -Aspire Z3-710

Garfytoo
Garfytoo Member Posts: 4 New User
Good afternoon, I'm hoping someone might know the answer :o)
I have an Acer Aspire Z3-710. For the last year window update has been running overnight and upgrading when I come to use the PC it is stuck at the windows login screen and I can't do anything other than roll back the update.
Yesterday it updated and I couldn't get into the recovery page to roll back the update, panicked, created a windows USB recovery stick, changed the drive priorities in bios and it wouldn't even boot from this.
That made me think, as the keyboard and mouse are USB I believe that once I have been moved to ver 1909 of windows 10 that my PC is not recognising any USB.
I managed to change the bios so it picked up a bootable drive, rolled back the update, downloaded some software and updated all my drivers. Downloaded the 1909 update and ran that, exactly the same problem.

Once windows ver 1909 update has loaded, PC boots to the windows login screen and I can't do anything, i.e. my keyboard, mouse and touch screen do not work.
I have again rolled back the update.
Can anyone help me at all with this issue?
Many thanks in advance
Gareth :o)

Best Answers

• ronsp
    ronsp Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    I have been dealing with this issue for 9 months on 3 of the 5 Aspire Z3-710 AIO that I help support.  After searching and searching, I have finally come up with a solution.  The 1909 update seems to impact the USB drivers.  I'm not sure exactly which one but I will describe the solution that worked for me on 7/1/2020.

1.  Install TeamViewer on the Z3-710.  Once it is installed, install TeamViewer on a second computer - either a laptop or desktop and it can be local or remote.  Be sure you set this up so you are able to connect to the Z3-710 with the second computer's TeamViewer.

2.  After the install of 1909 on the Z3-710, go to your second computer, start TeamViewer and connect remotely to the Z3-710.  Go to Device Manager (you can get to that by searching for it by clicking on the icon just to the right of Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of your screen.  Just click, type in Device Manager and press enter.

3.  Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controller and then click on the right pointing arrow to expand the devices within that category.

4. Right mouse click on each of the USB and USB 3 devices.  (The one I fixed had one USB Root Controller (3.0) and then 2 USB controllers.)  when you right mouse click, click on Uninstall Device. I did this for all 3 devices because I was working remotely.  If you are working locally, you can uninstall one device at a time and then do step 5 and see if the mouse, keyboard and touchscreen works.  If not, then uninstall a second USB device and try again.  If not, then do the third one and hopefully it will work after that.  

5.  Click Action and then select Scan for hardware changes.  This will reinstall the devices you have uninstalled. 

Hopefully this will solve the problem.  All I can figure out is that the 1909 update fouls up the USB devices in the registry and uninstalling them and then reinstalling them fixes the problem.

Good luck and I'd be interested to know if this fixes your problem as well.

Ron

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to do it with any remote control software, like Remote Desktop or VNC. They key is that if you have the issue your mouse and keyboard aren't going to be working after the update installs, so you need an alternate way to control the PC.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• ronsp
    Answer ✓
    I have been dealing with this issue for 9 months on 3 of the 5 Aspire Z3-710 AIO that I help support.  After searching and searching, I have finally come up with a solution.  The 1909 update seems to impact the USB drivers.  I'm not sure exactly which one but I will describe the solution that worked for me on 7/1/2020.

1.  Install TeamViewer on the Z3-710.  Once it is installed, install TeamViewer on a second computer - either a laptop or desktop and it can be local or remote.  Be sure you set this up so you are able to connect to the Z3-710 with the second computer's TeamViewer.

2.  After the install of 1909 on the Z3-710, go to your second computer, start TeamViewer and connect remotely to the Z3-710.  Go to Device Manager (you can get to that by searching for it by clicking on the icon just to the right of Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of your screen.  Just click, type in Device Manager and press enter.

3.  Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controller and then click on the right pointing arrow to expand the devices within that category.

4. Right mouse click on each of the USB and USB 3 devices.  (The one I fixed had one USB Root Controller (3.0) and then 2 USB controllers.)  when you right mouse click, click on Uninstall Device. I did this for all 3 devices because I was working remotely.  If you are working locally, you can uninstall one device at a time and then do step 5 and see if the mouse, keyboard and touchscreen works.  If not, then uninstall a second USB device and try again.  If not, then do the third one and hopefully it will work after that.  

5.  Click Action and then select Scan for hardware changes.  This will reinstall the devices you have uninstalled. 

Hopefully this will solve the problem.  All I can figure out is that the 1909 update fouls up the USB devices in the registry and uninstalling them and then reinstalling them fixes the problem.

Ron

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    Garfytoo said:
    Good afternoon, I'm hoping someone might know the answer :o)
    I have an Acer Aspire Z3-710. For the last year window update has been running overnight and upgrading when I come to use the PC it is stuck at the windows login screen and I can't do anything other than roll back the update.
    Yesterday it updated and I couldn't get into the recovery page to roll back the update, panicked, created a windows USB recovery stick, changed the drive priorities in bios and it wouldn't even boot from this.
    That made me think, as the keyboard and mouse are USB I believe that once I have been moved to ver 1909 of windows 10 that my PC is not recognising any USB.
    I managed to change the bios so it picked up a bootable drive, rolled back the update, downloaded some software and updated all my drivers. Downloaded the 1909 update and ran that, exactly the same problem.

Once windows ver 1909 update has loaded, PC boots to the windows login screen and I can't do anything, i.e. my keyboard, mouse and touch screen do not work.
    I have again rolled back the update.
    Can anyone help me at all with this issue?
    Many thanks in advance
    Gareth :o)
    The Win-10 1909 upgrade is not the latest Win-10 upgrade, try the latest version 2004 OS build 19041.330 (which is the latest) and see if that solves your problem, because and in my experience, the v1909 and its OS builds or any other version and OS builds has never ever affected the usb drivers in any way on any of my systems, be they laptops and/ordesktops. Go to “Windows 10 May 2020 Update” https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and update your 1909 version from here Update now
  • Garfytoo
    Thank you both for your answers, Stevegen I tried your way to upgrade by clicking on the update now link you provided. Downloaded and started the install after about 30 mins I got an error saying my PC wasn't supported on some issues.
    Ronsp I have a spare old laptop I could try installing teamviewer on (not familiar with the software) but am worried I would not be able to sign into windows on the Z3-10 once it is at the login screen, hence would not be able to get to the settings.
    As it stands at the moment I have update turned off, I will check again with the update option in around a month to see if windows has fixed the support issues.
    Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my issue  :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to do it with any remote control software, like Remote Desktop or VNC. They key is that if you have the issue your mouse and keyboard aren't going to be working after the update installs, so you need an alternate way to control the PC.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Garfytoo
    Thanks Billsey, will see if my old laptop will support the remote control software

Gareth :) 
  • Garfytoo
    ronsp said:

Ron

Thanks Ronsp, left it and left it until windows said it was going to reset, loader teamviewer on an old laptop, ran update.
    Connected to PC with the laptop, removed all usb drivers and selected upscan for hardware changes.
    Yeaaaay, now have an upgraded PC.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Happy bunny after about a year :o)
  • ronsp
    Garfytoo said:

Thanks Ronsp, left it and left it until windows said it was going to reset, loader teamviewer on an old laptop, ran update.
    Connected to PC with the laptop, removed all usb drivers and selected upscan for hardware changes.
    Yeaaaay, now have an upgraded PC.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Happy bunny after about a year :o)
    I'm so glad this worked for you.  It was one of the more frustrating issues I have encountered and it is nice that there was an easy and logical solution to it.  I wish I had thought of it myself!
  • AndrewSidwell
    AndrewSidwell Member Posts: 1 New User
    Many thanks, Ron! The USB problem is still there with the 20H2 Feature Update but I'm happy to say the Teamviewer solution has got me a working, updated PC for the first time in well over a year. I was resigned to having to back out updates after every forced install.

The only thing I'd add is to make sure that 'Easy' (i.e. no password) Unattended Access is working before applying the Update - even if Teamviewer is set up to autostart you won't see the one-time password on the client when it restarts after the update so you have to be able to connect without password.
  • ronsp
    Many thanks, Ron! The USB problem is still there with the 20H2 Feature Update but I'm happy to say the Teamviewer solution has got me a working, updated PC for the first time in well over a year. I was resigned to having to back out updates after every forced install.

The only thing I'd add is to make sure that 'Easy' (i.e. no password) Unattended Access is working before applying the Update - even if Teamviewer is set up to autostart you won't see the one-time password on the client when it restarts after the update so you have to be able to connect without password.
    Andrew, you are right about the TeamViewer password.  I have been able to set mine up so that the password doesn't change but that can be inconsistent at times.  One of the 5 computers I support lost its use of the mouse, keyboard and touchscreen with the 20H2 Feature Update.  I did my usual trick and everything except the mouse worked.  I had the user try a different wireless mouse and it worked just fine.  I will have to deal with this one in person to figure out which driver the mouse uses that isn't working right.

I'm glad this post helped solve your issue.  I think the Acer Aspire Z3-710 is a good computer but the problem with Feature Updates is getting tiresome to say the least!

Ron

• Mjck
    Mjck Member Posts: 2 New User
    Without use of the keyboard and mouse how do you do any of those things. I don't have another computer to use