Acer Nitro AN515-54 fan speed control laptop is burning up

alax
alax Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
I had to install debian for school  purposes on my gaming laptop everything is working great but it overheats really quick really fast and with crazy numbers. I tried using
 using fancontrol pwmconfing provides this following error:
/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installIed
It would be great  to be able to increase or decrease the fanspeed regarding the temprature. Can someone please help me out ??

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good evening alax !

If you have an average knowledge of Linux distributions, I think the links can help you:

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/391474/stop-cpu-from-overheating

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good evening alax !

If you have an average knowledge of Linux distributions, I think the links can help you:

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/391474/stop-cpu-from-overheating

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• alax

Tinkerer

Thank you for replying  I have actually tried some of the solutions but dont see the difference . tlp is already running and thermald is  giving this error :

sensor id 6 : No temp sysfs for reading raw temp
    sysfs open failed
    sysfs read failed /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2
    tried changing the thermal_zone0 to zone1 or 2 didn't work.. Well I was actually looking to set the fan speed manually if its possible thinking of installing nbfc which is not in debian repo so wanted to know if it would work with acer before going to all the trouble. will it work or is there any other better options ??

• alax

Tinkerer

and also pwmconfig is giving this error msg
    /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

• MaClane
    Most of the applications I've tried to control fans are shipped on notebooks for a few reasons:

Direct access to controllers at Bios is required (which is generally only implemented on desktop motherboards and not laptops)

Base notebook coolers do not have this direct access.

In this case, I believe that your device has Acer's proprietary cooling system, Sense.

Acer has not developed an application with Linux support.
    So, nothing prevents (if you have knowledge) from creating or developing (until you even adapt some free code application) for this purpose.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™