Chromebook makes high pitched whirling sound and won't charge

becca_kline
becca_kline Member Posts: 1 New User
I've had an Acer Chromebook for a little over a year now. Aside from a couple of months ago when it wouldn't connect/stay connected to my school's WiFi, I have had no major issues with it. Until last night. My battery got low so I plugged it in like normal, except this time it made a high pitched whirring/whining noise, so I unplugged it and it stopped making the noise. My battery got down to 1% so I plugged it back in and it made the same noise. I closed the screen and it stopped making the noise, so I left it plugged in and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning and turned it back on, once it was on it started making the noise again and it was still on 1%. I've been using it plugged in for about an hour now, every few minutes or so the noise stops for about 15-30 seconds. My laptop shows the charging symbol but despite having been plugged in for almost 12 hours, it still is on 1%. I performed a hard reset since everything I have on my Chromebook is stored in my google drive and that didn't help either. I googled the issue and the exact thing hasn't seemed to have happened to anybody else. I tried google support and they didn't have any answers for it there aside from contact the manufacturer. I tried doing that I spoke to a nice gentleman who told me that Chromebook was still under warranty and tried to transfer me to another department but nobody picked up. I use my Chromebook to take notes in 4 of my 7 classes so I really can't have it dying on me before I even get to class. Does anybody know if there's any way for me to fix it myself or will I have to take it someplace to get it fixed?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    becca_kline 
    To fix some Chromebook problems, you might need to reset your Chromebook hardware, also called a hard reset.
    Turn off your Chromebook.
    Press and hold Refresh Refresh + tap Power Power
    When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh Refresh.

If you are able to boot your chromebook, You can also reset your Chromebook to its original factory state from the sign-in screen by pressing Shift + Ctrl + Alt + R and clicking Restart.
    If neither solution works and your Chromebook is less than 12 months old, contact manufacturer support for warranty service.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • bradb13
    bradb13 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've had an Acer Chromebook for a little over a year now. Aside from a couple of months ago when it wouldn't connect/stay connected to my school's WiFi, I have had no major issues with it. Until last night. My battery got low so I plugged it in like normal, except this time it made a high pitched whirring/whining noise, so I unplugged it and it stopped making the noise. My battery got down to 1% so I plugged it back in and it made the same noise. I closed the screen and it stopped making the noise, so I left it plugged in and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning and turned it back on, once it was on it started making the noise again and it was still on 1%. I've been using it plugged in for about an hour now, every few minutes or so the noise stops for about 15-30 seconds. My laptop shows the charging symbol but despite having been plugged in for almost 12 hours, it still is on 1%. I performed a hard reset since everything I have on my Chromebook is stored in my google drive and that didn't help either. I googled the issue and the exact thing hasn't seemed to have happened to anybody else. I tried google support and they didn't have any answers for it there aside from contact the manufacturer. I tried doing that I spoke to a nice gentleman who told me that Chromebook was still under warranty and tried to transfer me to another department but nobody picked up. I use my Chromebook to take notes in 4 of my 7 classes so I really can't have it dying on me before I even get to class. Does anybody know if there's any way for me to fix it myself or will I have to take it someplace to get it fixed?
    Did you ever find a solution? I am having the same problem now.
  • TonyPower
    TonyPower Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is there a solution to this problem as my chromebook has now developed the same problem. I have tried hard reset, plugging the cable in a different socket, I have also used the power cable to charge my phone which charges up no problem. As soon as I plug the cable into the chromebook the high pitched noise starts and although it shows on the screen as charging and the charging light is on at the side of the chromebook the battery level will not increase.
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    We are sorry you are having this issue with your Chromebook. Have you tried the suggestion on power reset or reinstalling the OS to factory, offered by our ACE member?
    If the power reset or reinstalling to factory did not help fix the issue, we suggest contacting Acer support channel in your region for further assistance.

Regards,
    Acer-Karp.
    minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • SergeantD
    SergeantD Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am assuming the batty is dead. These Lithium batteries do not take kindly to being run down to 0% so try to avoid that. Mine just started doing this. I ran a battery test in crosh and it says it's fine, but all signs are leading to a dad battery. I'll order a new one and try to remember to come back and give my results.
  • SergeantD
    SergeantD Member Posts: 2 New User
    Immediate update - I opened the back, unplugged the battery for a minute or 5 while searching for a replacement battery online and was going to order a replacement tomorrow. 
    While I had it opened, I plugged it back in, figured I'd fire it up with the back off ----  it stopped making noise and is now charging and will be finished charging in a little over an hour, so I'll charge it and close it all up. iFixit website show you how to open the back if you don't know how
  • Clemapfel
    Clemapfel Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2021
    I can confirm that plugging out the battery and plugging it back in worked, you don't even have to disconnect the heat transfer tape you can just take out the socket adapter and push it back in with everything still in place.
    I assume the high pitched whirling sound was current trying to bridge the gap between the mainboard socket (which supplies power via the charging cable) and the battery. That's why the whirling sound changed depending on cpu usage while being a steady when the machine was turned off.