Keyboard not working in laptop mode - Acer Aspire

rachelevs90
rachelevs90 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire running windows 10 and today when i went to use it the keyboard is no longer working somehow, though the mouse still does.
i can switch between desktop and tablet mode ok, i just cant use the physical keyboard in desktop mode.
i installed a windows 10 update last week but it had been working fine til today.
are there any keyboard drivers i should check or reinstall? any suggestions appreciated.
cheers, 

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• Go to the device manager and check for any troublesome drivers!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @rachelevs90

Completely reboot your laptop

The simplest fix to your keyboard issue is to reboot your Acer laptop completely. To do so:

1) Press and hold the power button of your laptop until the laptop is totally off.

2) Unplug the power cable and the battery from your laptop. 

3) Leave your laptop for a few seconds

4) Plug the power cable and the battery back to your laptop.

5) Power on your computer. Then check to see if this fixes your keyboard.

Method 2: Disable Filter Keys

Filter Keys is a feature that makes your keyboard ignore brief or repeated keystrokes. It sometimes lead to a laptop keyboard not working issue. You can try disabling Filter Keys to sort this issue out.

1) Click the Start menu (the Windows logo) at the bottom left of your screen. Then click Settings (in Windows 10) or Control Panel (in Windows 7).

Open Settings in Windows 10

2) Click Ease of Access.

3) Click Keyboard (in Windows 10) or Make the keyboard easier to use (in Windows 7).

Keyboard setting on Windows 10

Keyboard setting on Windows 7

4) Disable the Filter Keys function (switch off Filter Keys or uncheck Turn on Filter Keys).

5) Try your keyboard and see if disabling Filter Keys can restore your keyboard.

Update your keyboard driver by going Acer website

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    @rachelevs90

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
    Go to >->Control Panel-> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Right click and Uninstall the keyboard driver,Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver)-> When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Or

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" and restart.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
  • rachelevs90

Tinkerer

thanks for the replies.  I had already tried the rebooting and sticky keys options, neither of which worked.

How do I find the keyboard drivers to uninstall them? I cant seem to find where they live in Windows 10 and searching drivers in the settings doesn't bring anything up.  I've done it on older windows platforms ok but just cant seem to find it in 10. cheers, Rachel
  • rachelevs90

Tinkerer

TECH_MAN said:
    @rachelevs90

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
    Go to >->Control Panel-> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Right click and Uninstall the keyboard driver,Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver)-> When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Or

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" and restart.

So I've tried the first option on your list but i don't get an option for 'uninstall driver's only update driver (to which it then says the most current is installed) or uninstall device, which I'm assuming isn't the same thing. The trouble shooter says device can't start - code 10. Device timed out, specified i/o operation was not completed before time out period expired. Does that give any clues?
  • It would be easier to see if you hit a photo of the device manager like this:

Also tell us the exact model of your notebook! Example vx5-591g!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rachelevs90

Tinkerer

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, I was using a bluetooth keyboard in the interim and have only just had time to rethink about it again.  Image of device manager screen and error message attached
  • Can you tell the exact model of your computer? Example an515-51-75kz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rachelevs90

Tinkerer

Aspire R-11, R3-131T-C1EW.
  • This keyboard that is not working, is the external keyboard or the keyboard that is integrated with the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rachelevs90

Tinkerer

the integrated keyboard
  • In bios, is there a function called "function key behavior"? Could you tell the idhardware of the keyboard driver like this? Example:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rachelevs90

Tinkerer

it's the 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' - is that what you mean?

• Yes my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Angelchimbabyy
    Angelchimbabyy Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello guys! I'm new here and I hope to get an answer for my issue. My issue is the same with her, I already tried rebooting my pc, and reinstalling the ps/2 keyboard. (The driver keyboard) and also updated it, and it says that is is already in the latest version, however, the keyboard still doesn't work. The caps lock and the num lock also doesn't work, same with the f keys (f1 to f12) all the keys in my keyboard is not working, except for the power button. My laptop's model is Acer Aspire 3, A315-53-389V
  • SHAINA22
    SHAINA22 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello guys! I'm new here and I hope to get an answer for my issue. My issue is the same with her, I already tried rebooting my pc, and reinstalling the ps/2 keyboard. (The driver keyboard) and also updated it, and it says that is is already in the latest version, however, the keyboard still doesn't work. The caps lock and the num lock also doesn't work, same with the f keys (f1 to f12) all the keys in my keyboard is not working, except for the power button. My laptop's model is Acer Aspire 3, A315-53-389V
    We have the same laptop its been 7 mons since bought,,, then its suddenly keyboard is not working anyway  did u fix urs? How? 
  • @SHAINA22 Your question will be visible to other users if you create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SHAINA22
    SHAINA22 Member Posts: 3 New User
    This keyboard that is not working, is the external keyboard or the keyboard that is integrated with the notebook?
    i dont understand. but its internal keyboard.. 
  • @SHAINA22 Your question will be visible to other users if you create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AndresBlancoma
    AndresBlancoma Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G-ROZZ laptop.
    Guess what. I decided to reinstall the computer, and the keyboard failed. Now I cannot complete the installation because I cannot type an User Name.
    Why does Acer have so many problems with keyboards?

How can I reinstall this computer without the Keyboard?
    If I attach and USB keyboard, will it work?

Thanks for any information/advice you can give me.

Regards,
    Andres Blanco
This discussion has been closed.