Switch from RAID to AHCI on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54

KolayNe
KolayNe Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2020 in Nitro Gaming
I have just bought the laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54. I have Windows running on it at the moment and want to install Linux instead or nearby. The problem I encountered is that Linux (Mint 19.3, a "fork" of Ubuntu 18.04) doesn't see my SSD. Google says I have to switch from RAID to AHCI mode to make everything work, but I find it very difficult...

Firstly I've tried to change my BIOS settings, but I couldn't find any line corresponding to SATA mode (you can see my Main tab below). I've found something looking similar to what I was looking for in the Information tab (screenshot 2), but I'm not able to edit it.

On the internet, there're some tutorials on how to do this, editing registry. I've tried this too, but it didn't work (BTW, after reboot my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride "0" parameter becomes 3 again)

How do I switch to AHCI mode?

Best Answer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello,
    Go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab, press Ctrl+S buttons together, press F10 to save and exit, AHCI option should be available in Main tab.  In case that you want to use windows after you switch to AHCI perform the steps below first:
    1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
    2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
    3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
    4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
    5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
    6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
    7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
    9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

Answers

• batmalin
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello,
    Go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab, press Ctrl+S buttons together, press F10 to save and exit, AHCI option should be available in Main tab.  In case that you want to use windows after you switch to AHCI perform the steps below first:
    3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
    6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
    8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
    9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled

• KolayNe
    KolayNe Member Posts: 2 New User
    LOL
    1. Thank you a lot, this worked. Didn't yet check if Linux now works, but this helped me to switch SATA mode
    2. This solution looks a lot like an eastern egg of my BIOS 😅. Is there any kind of documentation for my bios with a list of these "interesting" keyboard shortcuts?
  • batmalin
    Well maybe in the service manual but Acer is not giving them up.

• Aldrin23
    Aldrin23 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello just a question. Why is that the bcdedit command was not found in my system? 
  • batmalin
    edited June 2020
    The below only!

bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

OR

bcdedit /set safeboot minimal

• caugustomaia
    caugustomaia Member Posts: 1 New User
    batmalin said:
    Hello,
    Dude, you just saved me. Thank you so much!
  • This tip is easier to perform:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig;
    b) go to system startup and activate safeboot;

Now, if you intend to install windows and ubuntu in dual boot, disable fastboot in the bios and fast startup in the power options as well.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Pgriffygriff
    Pgriffygriff Member Posts: 1 New User
    Aldrin23 said:
    Hello just a question. Why is that the bcdedit command was not found in my system? 
    Aldrin23 said:
    Bcdedit is case sensitive
  • Simo998
    Simo998 Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited November 2020
    Noob question, do I need to enable AHCI if both my drives are nvme? I am planning to dual boot and install linux in one nvme and keep windows on the other.nvme ...because my old laptops i always had AHCI enabled when I was running dual boot linux windows on two sata ssd's... . 
     Acer Nitro 5 AN5-15-55, 16Gb RAM, i7 10750H, GTX1650Ti , 2x nvme drives + 1tb SATA SDD, dual boot 2xdrives Ubuntu 20.10 and Windows 10
  • batmalin
    Yes, Linux doesn`t support RST.

• Simo998
    batmalin said:
    Yes, Linux doesn`t support RST.
    good to know  . I am able to boot into Ubuntu Live usb in my Nitro 5 without switching to AHCI , Ubuntu booted straight out the box, but Im guessing I will hace problem if I dont switch t o AHCi mode then from what you guys are saying.

BTW wondering is there any performance loss running nvme in AHCI mode in bios?  
     Acer Nitro 5 AN5-15-55, 16Gb RAM, i7 10750H, GTX1650Ti , 2x nvme drives + 1tb SATA SDD, dual boot 2xdrives Ubuntu 20.10 and Windows 10
  • You can check the performance on the crystaldiskmark, with the rst with premium optane mode and then check with the ahci mode. Now, the performance increase would only be noticeable, if you use two ssds configured in raid. If you choose not to activate the raid, the difference in performance between ahci mode and rst with premium optane will be imperceptible.

To change sata mode to ahci, do this:
    a) press windows + r, type msconfig, go to system startup and activate safeboot;
    b) restart windows;
    c) go to the device manager and uninstall and delete the sata ahci controller driver;
    d) restart windows;
    e) access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Simo998
    You can check the performance on the crystaldiskmark, with the rst with premium optane mode and then check with the ahci mode. Now, the performance increase would only be noticeable, if you use two ssds configured in raid. If you choose not to activate the raid, the difference in performance between ahci mode and rst with premium optane will be imperceptible.

To change sata mode to ahci, do this:
    a) press windows + r, type msconfig, go to system startup and activate safeboot;
    b) restart windows;
    c) go to the device manager and uninstall and delete the sata ahci controller driver;
    d) restart windows;
    e) access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.
    thanks alot. great clear steps. I understood we are changjng sata mode to ahci in bios to get linux  installation working, but can you help me understand why if both my drives are not sata and are pcie nvme drives? Is it only because linux install need us to switch to ahci, and nothing to do with having an nvme drive at at all? or because the USB drive? just curious.
  • Simo998
    batmalin said:
    Hello,
    great this worked for me also. thanks!
  • DarkInc
    DarkInc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey can someone help me i have nitro 5 an515-42 i know nvme is not supported but at the same time i cant find raid mode in bios i mean i went to sata configuration the hdd1 was not detected when i tried to change sata mode the only option available was raid
  • batmalin
     Amd models doesn`t have RAID controller enabled so the only option available for you would be the AHCI. You have to look for an issue elsewhere e.g. faulty drive, loose connection and so on

• Thouhid
    Thouhid Member Posts: 1 New User
    Great post and thanks for the help <3
  • CuriousCat92
    CuriousCat92 Member Posts: 3 New User
    batmalin said:
    Hello,
    Thank you for this. It worked for me. Now, would it also be possible to change back from AHCI to RST? Do you know how to?
  • batmalin
    Same steps but this time you switch back to RST, but what is the point?

• You can also activate safe boot using msconfig. Now, why do you want to change sata mode to rst with optane?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer