Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide

dclanz
dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all, without further ado (or delays) I present my Windows 10 clean install guide with a few optimization tips for the Nitro 5 An515-42 laptop:

Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide by dclanz v.0.2

Disclaimer
I do not work for Acer, Microsoft or any other tech companies. I am just a technician and I've tried to optimize my laptop as best as I can to the best of my knowledge including that which has been shared by helpful users around the internet. That being said, this guide was written (while the steps were being followed) with the intent to aid users who wish to clean install Windows 10 on the Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen powered laptop. You, the reader, assumes any and all risks by following this guide in event that anything happens to your laptop. If you are comfortable with that then please, read on.

Requirements
1. Hardware: external storage, one 8GB or higher flash drive and a mouse as there will be no touchpad support until the drivers are installed.

2. Software: Download all official available drivers for the laptop at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1&pn=NH.Q3RAA.002 (if your model varies then browse the website to locate the right version and download the drivers for your system), the latest microsoft certified drivers for the Radeon RX 560X/ Vega 8 graphic cards at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=rx 560x (sort by date and download the 23.20.826.8448 version which was released on the 20th of August 2018), 7zip available at http://www.7zip.org/ and finally the Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Pre-Installation
1. Backup all required data including personal files, acer drivers and the video drivers to the external storage medium (external hard drive, high capacity flash drive - note not the same flash drive to be used with the media creation tool, etc).

2. Insert the 8GB flash drive and run the media creation tool. Accept the licence, select Create installation media for another PC then next. Ensure the correct version of Windows 10 is selected (should be by default), click Next, select the flash drive and click Next once again. Allow the process to complete.

3. Power off the laptop, plug in the flash drive with the media creation tool files and then power back up. Continually press F2 to enter the BIOS. Using the arrow keys, Navigate to the Main tab and then down to F12 Boot Menu. Press Enter, select Enabled and press Enter again. Press F10 then Enter to save changes and exit the Bios. Press F12 repeatedly as the system reboots to select the flash drive as the boot option and hit Enter (if you missed the chance and Windows loaded, just restart and press F12 rapidly) to boot the Windows setup.

Windows Installation
1. Select language, time and currency format and keyboard or input method and click next.

2. Click Install Now.

3. Accept the licence terms then click next and choose custom: install windows only (advanced).

4. The next screen displays the drives as well as their partitions. Take note of which drive has Windows installed then delete all partitions by highlighting each one and pressing delete. Note that doing this removes the Acer backup partition as well.  If more than one drive remains, don't worry. The extra drives can be formatted and repartitioned in Windows. Select the drive which formerly had Windows on it and click next  (in my case that was drive 1 with a total size of 238.5GB).

5. Wrap up the installation by choosing the correct region, the right keyboard layout (and adding any additional keyboard layouts) but do not connect to the internet (skip this step). 

6. Since we opted for no internet access, proceed with creating a local account then modify the privacy settings to your liking and click Accept.

Configuring Windows
1. Once Windows has started, unplug the flash drive, open File Explorer, right click This PC and go to Manage.

2. Select Disk Management under Storage and locate your second hard drive (if you had one). The drive may be labelled as Disk 0 and shows unallocated space. Simply right click it, choose New simple volume and click next all the way through (ensuring that you choose the right drive letter for your second hard drive).

3. At this point you can go into the properties of This PC once again (right click on it) and rename the system as necessary. This will prompt a restart.

4. Connect the external storage and install 7zip.

5. Open File Explorer, right click This PC and go to Properties then Device Manager. From here you can see all the missing devices to install (7 total).

6. Locate the video drivers which you downloaded from the Microsoft website. The file is a Cabinet file type. Right click the file, go to 7zip then open archive. Click Extract and using the menu button to the side of the name (three dots in a button), select Desktop, click ok and AMD to the end of the address (e.g. C:\Users\User\Desktop\amd) and click ok. Navigate to this folder, right-click the second file with the name U0332427 and from the context menu choose install. Click yes on the prompt to allow the installation and give the system at least 5 minutes to install the video drivers. If you check the Device Manager again you will see that the drivers are now installed for both the Vega 8 Graphics and the Radeon RX 560X. Navigate into the B331895 folder and double click the ccc2_install file to install the Radeon Settings program. Once it is finished right click the desktop and select AMD Radeon settings to view the Radeon control panel.

7. The next step is to enable internet access either wired or wirelessly and go to windows update (right click the start button/Windows flag, go to Settings then Update and Security). Allow the system to download all patches, drivers and updates. Once the system has finished installing updates and has rebooted, check the device manager again to ensure all hardware has been installed. Test the trackpad as well to ensure that it now functions.

8. Open up the Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.8351_W10x64_A zip file and browse to the Dax2 folder (Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.8351_W10x64_A.zip\Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.8351_W10x64\DAX2\x64) and copy dax2_app_release_x64 to the desktop. Double click it to install the Dolby Audio X2 app. Launch the newly installed Dolby Audio app from the start menu.

9. Next open up the Nitro Sense_Acer_3.01.3000_W10x64_A zip file and copy the NitroSense_3.01.3000_W10x64 folder to the desktop. Enter the v3.01.3000 folder and run Setup there to install the Nitro Sense service then go into the NitroSenseV3.1 folder and double click the b6d27df9d58b4baf8a067b8f39aa872a (APPXBUNDLE File) located there. You will be prompted to install NitroSense_V31, click install. Nitro Sense should launch automatically after installation. Note if the Microsoft Smart Screen/ filter app pops up click Run.

10. Open up the Quick Access_Acer_2.01.3018_W10x64_A zip file and copy the Quick Access_2.01.3018_W10x64 folder to the desktop then launch the setup file located within. Proceed through the install then press the Caps Lock key to confirm visual notification of the install (should display once the install went ok).
Note about the Acer drivers: We did not install all the drivers from Acer and that is ok as we got most of them online. The reason they were downloaded however was to have the manufacturer's drivers stored away in the event that they are needed. As it is, Windows 10 has been installed and updated with the latest available drivers from Windows Update along with the basic Acer apps for functionality. Alternatively, we could have also attempted to install the latest AMD drivers by extracting the setup files with 7zip and using device manager to browse to the driver folder and installing. However these drivers are not officially supported and the Radeon Settings panel is a bit slow and wonky when installed for it. Best bet is to go with Acer or Microsoft's drivers at this point in time.

Optimization
So, the system is up and running but it's still a bit sluggish, gaming isn't that great, what actually gives? The following steps are a collection of tips I've come across the internet:
1. Right click the battery icon in the taskbar and go to Power Options. Select Choose what closing this lid does, click Change settings that are currently unavailable, then uncheck Turn on Fast startup (recommended) and click Save Changes.

2. In the same Power Options screen click Change plan settings next to High performance. Click Change advanced power settings, expand Switchable Dynamic Graphics then Global Settings and change Plugged in to Maximize performance. If you intend to game on battery (I don't recommend doing so), you can also change that setting to Maximize performance then click apply.

3. This next step involves un-parking the Ryzen CPU and running the dedicated GPU. It was created by YouTube user power333boom and the full video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLL6OJKAWRc&lc

Closing
I'd like to thank the members of the Acer forums, members of the AMD forums, fellow Nitro 5 Ryzen users, power333boom and you the reader. Feel free to drop any tips, ideas, constructive criticism or things which I may have forgotten to add. I'll try to update when next I get an opportunity to do so. Goodnight and game on! :)

If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.

Best Answer

• dclanz
    Answer ✓
    Also, here are some steps straight from AMD in modifying the Radeon Settings to get an optimal gaming experience: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012
    If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.

Answers

• dclanz
    edited November 2018
    Sharanji said:
    dclanz 
    Thanks for presenting the windows 10 clean install guide.
    @Sharanji :)
  • dclanz
    Answer ✓
    Also, here are some steps straight from AMD in modifying the Radeon Settings to get an optimal gaming experience: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012
  • Akito123
    Akito123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Requirements
    1. Hardware: external storage, one 8GB or higher flash drive and a mouse as there will be no touchpad support until the drivers are installed.
    i know this is an old post but i just wanted to say that you can actually use the touchpad you just have to change change the touchpad option on BIOS from Advance to Standard or Basic(i forgot what was it but basically the other one that is not advance.)
    i hope this helps someone
  • dclanz
    Akito123 said:
    Requirements
    i know this is an old post but i just wanted to say that you can actually use the touchpad you just have to change change the touchpad option on BIOS from Advance to Standard or Basic(i forgot what was it but basically the other one that is not advance.)
    i hope this helps someone
    Thanks for sharing @Akito123, this may prove quite useful to users without access to an external mouse. :)
  • dclanz
    Hi all, as new users (and old) may still visit this guide for use, please be advised that AMD has now released graphic drivers for the AMD Ryzen 3, 5 and 7 mobile processors. As such users may want to download the appropriate driver for their systems following the instructions in this thread (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/562450/official-amd-vega-drivers-out-nitro-5-ryzen-edition-users#latest) and use them for installation instead of the recommended Microsoft Certified Drivers in the clean install guide. :)
  • Bups
    Bups Member Posts: 4 New User
    Question.

I'ved tried clean installing windows 10 but the problem is when im installing the VGA driver from Acer my screem goes black. Should I directly download the driver straight from AMD instead?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Bups said:
    Question.

I'ved tried clean installing windows 10 but the problem is when im installing the VGA driver from Acer my screem goes black. Should I directly download the driver straight from AMD instead?

Yes download it from AMD here and it includes the AMD Adrenalin Control Center , if I have answered your question please click YES
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-1

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ruchirrathore
    ruchirrathore Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,good guide. i would like to know if you faced any issue in activation of Windows 10? My Nitro 5 has come with preinstalled Win 10 and the reason i have been hesitating in doing a fresh install with latest windows version, is windows activation challenge that i may face. Please share your experience. Did you have to do anything special to re-activate the Windows or does it detect the BIOS/UEFI key automatically?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    @ruchirrathore the guide for the AMD Control Center and Rx560x drivers is out of date now so
    Do this

Firstly your BIOS version should be 1.16 go here to update
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1

The new AMD Adrenalin 2020 Control Center is designed to give support for your hardware and contains Mobile Driver support for this exact model, the Graphics Drivers on the Acer site are only base drivers. If you haven't already downloaded and installed it then click the link below to download it. If you get a failure installing the new Control Center then download and run DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html for a clean uninstall of your current AMD Center and Drivers then try to install again

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-1

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

PLEASE CLICK YES IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, THANKYOU

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kiwinion
    Kiwinion Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bups said:
    Question.

Same problem. How to fix this problem?
  • DanilkaShalinda
    DanilkaShalinda Member Posts: 3 New User
    please sir help me..(nitro 5 AN515-54)
    when i buy my laptop i already had genuine windows 10 home single language in nitro 5 version.. that version has it own nitro 5 wallpaper and more things.. after that i formatted and i installed pro version of winodws 10.. please help me guys.. i need to download windows 10 home single language nitro 5 version... please someone tell me how to download that version.. please give me download link.. i really appreciate that.. i dont need microsoft default windows 10 home version, i need nitro 5 version of windows 10 home single language.. i'm very weak in english but i think you guys can understand what i said.. please help me..

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    This is the only one available on Acer website I found: https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Oh BTW it is better if you start new topic, more users can help and contribute.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158