SWIFT sf314 Intel SST Audio Controller drains battery @ Modern Standby - instant sleep, Windows 1909

ed4myra
ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I am happy with Modern Standby - instant sleep on my Windows 1909 update on SWIFT sf314-56G.
There is no lag to get the display on or wifi connection after I open the lid.

However "powercfg /sleepstudy" report complains that the Intel SST Audio Controller - version 10.23.0.2427 is draining the battery and that the device is 100% active during sleep, even though the driver has a Power Management tab - set to save power.

This driver is the most up-to-date that Windows can find.

Any suggestions what more can be done to remove the drain issue?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    @ed4myra

Here's what I would do.  But you’re not going to like it.  I would make sure I had the latest BIOS.  If that didn’t help, I would wipe the drive and return the laptop to a known working state.  That might mean restoring the original factory image.  Or it might mean using your USB recovery drive that you created with Acer Care Center from a known working state.  Basically getting a fresh start to see if that helps.  

Other than that, you can search the forum or search google and see if anyone else is experiencing the problem. If you find other people are having the problem with your model...then you could ask Acer for a fix.  Or ask Microsoft for a fix.  

I’ll give you some links but I didn’t search the forum or do a thorough google search.  

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9365-overnight-battery-drain-Modern-Standby-due-to-audio/td-p/7311117/page/2

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/abf2l9/insane_battery_drain_over_night_76_drain_dell_xps/

The reason I don’t spend a lot of time troubleshooting is because that’s how they did things where I used to work. They would literally spend zero minutes troubleshooting.  They would wipe the drive and put the original image on the PC.....and remap some network drives....connect some databases.....and that fixed a problem 95 percent of time.   Sometimes a problem could be reproduced.....usually not though.  

Good luck. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Thanks @JordanB, I noticed that in Linux the power consumption of the same SST controller is 100% in suspend mode, even though power management is on auto save, so the culprit must be the BIOS/firmware and not the drivers.

I have the latest BIOS, unfortunately both Windows and Linux battery monitoring tools does not give a clue how much energy is being dissipated by the controller. So I rest my case.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    You're welcome.

You could try posting in the Swift section of this forum.  Because honestly I don't think the Windows section of this forum gets much visibility.   You can try contacting Acer too.   But if you're the only one that has the problem, then they might want you to do a factory reset or restore the laptop to factory condition before they started an investigation in to the problem you're having....that's just a guess/assumption on my part.....not sure though.

https://community.acer.com/en/categories/s-r-series

I'm not an Acer employee.